hdrpe liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Has anyone heard of or used hdrpe liner 24 mil which is supposed to be equal to 45 mil? Or have any background in the different types of synthetics used to make liners that could tell me more about it and if I would be making a mistake to buy it?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Stick with what has a proven track record......EPDM.
HDPE or HDRPE liner is usually available as a drop-in liner. It is considerably more rigid than EPDM causing more problems with wrinkles and folds unless it is drop-in.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used ppl36 from bend tarp and liner, much prefer it over epdm. Even though it is a little more difficult to work with, i.e. stiffer, it did go into the pond well and it does not get slick like the epdm gets, like ice. I used epdm in my deck pond, that stuff stretches, weighed more and gets slick, it was a little easier to work with, shaping to the sides.

https://www.btlliners.com/ppl-45/
https://www.btlliners.com/water-features-aquascapes/

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think the type of liner depends on your budget and how big your pond is going to be .Addy has a huge pond so a stiffer liner may be easier to work with .Only fault I see with epdm is the weight .Have some one to help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well I found a hdrpe liner a little less expensive or about the as the other types but I know nothing of this type and don't want to end up in the same situation I am in now, I really like that it isn't slick like the one liner I have, this is what the listing says.

brand new custom cut pond liner 20 feet by 20 feet in a square piece containing 400 square feet of HDRPE ( High Density Reinforce Polyethylene) 24 Mills, 30 Years, 700 Lbs per inch, UV Protected, Fish Safe and user friendly membrane. It does not require underlay in most uses.

AmericanTilapia your best source of quality aquaculture equipment, fish, liners, geomembranes and geofibers for all environmental, industrial, commercial and other uses. We guaranty best prices and best quality in the industry.

We have been in the aquaculture and infrastructure industries for over 35 years. In the past two decades, the use of geomembranes and geofibers has increased rapidly. Today with new EPA regulations, the need for stronger, lasting structures, our fibers have become part of 100′s of new industries. This growing need for better, safer, friendlier and longer lasting products allow us to offer you a diverse inventory of dozens of innovative, reliable and Eco-friendly materials. We count with over 37 Geo-fibers recommended for impermeabilization, containment and control of fluids, including Poly, PVC, CPVC, PE, PP, EPDM, HDPE, HDPP and HDRPE. These fibers range in thickness from 3 Mills to 240 Mills and guaranties from one to 100 years.

Ponds, Lakes and reservoirs. For Ponds, pools and aquaculture uses , the liners market is currently driven by the superior quality, resistance and duration of HDRPE (High Density Reinforced Polyethylene) It has surpassed almost any other fiber qualities, buyers expectations and tests at the most reasonable and feasible prices.

Why HDRPE is better? – Longer life per fiber from two years up to 100 years guaranty. Using our dedication to quality, we produce the best materials, made in America by American craftsmanship. our HDRPE exceed the specifications and expectations in the industry. – UV Protection is a costly part, but one of the most important ingredients for longevity and eco-friendliness. it is the life without drying and cracking. Our HDRPE is guaranty to last even dry. It handles the sun so incredibly that we make tarps and covers for equipments, hay and building with HDRPEs. – Torn and drag resistance is the strength of the fibers to be move across terrain and friendliness to install. with up to 1200 Lbs per inch. Our HDRPE has the greatest over all resistance among geo-fibers. Any large projects can be transported unloaded, unfolded and dragged to position without worries ripping or separating. – Resistance per inch up to 1200 Pounds. A 24 mills is 10 times stronger than 45 mills PVC or EPDM. It allows to drag push, move adjust to position or convert without ripping. It is resistant enough to hold rocks and heavy decorative items on the liner without puncturing.

- Fish safe for human consumption. HDRPE is not petroleum. It is polymer a much friendlier for the environment yet much stronger and longer lasting than most fibers. HDRPE does not distils into the water and its near neutral PH allows micro organism and minerals to make layers on it without eating it. HDRPE Comes in:

• 12 mills… Duration: 3-5 Years… Color: White/Silver.. Requires underlay, fish safe, best for roofing, tarps.
  • 15 mills… 8-10 years 20 mills 15-20 years, most used for small pools
  • 24 mills 20-30 years does not require underlay. It is most recommended for above grounds pools and active fish ponds
  • 30 mills 30+ years. This is most used in industrial applications and sediment ponds. This is minimal for used for storage of chemicals and miming reservoirs. 30m is the most use for land fills and canals.
  • 36 mills 35+ its main use is high traffic, pressure, sediments, chemical, settling tank or similar conditions in industrial uses.
  • 40 mills 40+… years These are mainly for high risk uses and oil exploration wells as alterative to XR5. Rarely used but mostly recommended for mining.
  • 45 mills …..50+ a years This liners provide far exceeding expectation of protection for commercial and industrial uses but are much harder to work curves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I guess I could be the one to experiment lol! Was just hoping someone else might have used it before or knows about it @ addy1 what is ppl36

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I used ppl36 from bend tarp and liner, much prefer it over epdm. Even though it is a little more difficult to work with, i.e. stiffer, it did go into the pond well and it does not get slick like the epdm gets, like ice. I used epdm in my deck pond, that stuff stretches, weighed more and gets slick, it was a little easier to work with, shaping to the sides.

https://www.btlliners.com/ppl-45/
https://www.btlliners.com/water-features-aquascapes/

The statement that "it does not get slick like epdm gets" leads me to believe that it contains some chemical leachate that inhibits the formation of biofilm (which is the source of the slickness), which is all important to the organic balance in any aquatic eco-system. I would be hesitant to use this type of liner in a bare liner application.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It does get the bio film, I have slipped on it , but it is not as darn slick as the epdm.

@ addy1 what is ppl36
Go to the link I sent above. I used their liners for three of my ponds, tough stuff.
They make it for back yard ponds, and a lot other things.

PPL-36® Spec Sheet
PPL-36® CONTAINMENT MEMBRANE
LOW TEMPERATURE - HYDROCARBON STABLE

DESCRIPTION BLACK TAPE, Dual 14x14(1500d) COUNT PER INCH
FABRICATION & WAREHOUSE BEND, OREGON
WEIGHT 19.1 OZ./SQ.YD. (+/-10%) ASTM D 1910
THICKNESS 36 MILS (+/-10%)
COATING THICKNESS 2.0 MILS & 2.25 MILS (+/-10%)
TENSILE STRENGTH
(TONGUE METHOD) WARP 666 LBS.
WEFT 519 LBS. ASTM D 751
ELONGATION TO BREAK WARP 28%
WEFT 21%
TEAR STRENGTH
(TONGUE METHOD) WARP 108 LBS/IN.
WEFT 134 LBS/IN. ASTM D 751
BURSTING STRENGTH
(MULLEN) 993 PSI ASTM D 3786
BURSTING STRENGTH
(BALL) 803 PSI ASTM D 3776
HYDROSTATIC RESISTANCE 360 PSI ASTM D 751A
MOISTURE VAPOR TRANSMISSION 0.7076 GRAMS/M2/24HRS. ASTM E 96 B
LOW TEMPERATURE COLD CRACK -65F ASTM D 2136
Addy has a huge pond so a stiffer liner may be easier to work with
I used it for my stream and the stream ponds which are on the small size, smaller than most would make a pond to be. It was no issue to install it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have a liner that is very slick currently and another that has a texture to it which is similar to what she is referring to their is defy a difference

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 sorry I asked before I seen the link
lol no problem. The stuff is tough, manages to ignore the deers sharp little hoofs.
I know nothing of what you are looking at, but it sounds similar.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
HDRPE does not distils into the water and its near neutral PH allows micro organism and minerals to make layers on it without eating it.

Not sure what they are saying in this statement. They don't specify which "micro-organisms" will "make layers". If it doesn't get slick then they are NOT referring to biofilm. Sounds like a little double-speak spin. All manufacturers do this to some extent. They surely are not going to list the negative aspects of their product.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@toytika, I just noticed you are 7b, is it pasadena california or maryland or somewhere else?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Lol maybe I just want it to be warmer, it seemed like it was that cause we are closer to the water and south of all the cold

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So I looked up a place that dealt with hdrpe and they actually get theirs from the same place you recommended @addy1 this is the same thing as what you have its just called different things by different companies

Ask a Question