Head calculation help - intake

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hello, I am building. 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tank goldfish pond with a separate 100 or 150 gallon tank for an anoxic filter with suitable plants. I understand how to calculate head (using a calculator online). However, I cant yet figure out the pressure loss given these two options.

1. Pump on ground with” piping going up and over the side of the tank and down to the bottom where there would be a retrofit bottom drain and 2” check valve. At the apex on top a 2” ball valve to add prime water. And a hayward lx leaf basket before the periha 25000 pump.

I-ball valve-l
I l
Pump<——-l. l—<checkvalve<retroBd

2.Placing a bulkhead fitting opposite the drain plug fitting. Connect that on the inside to a retrofit bottom drain(or not). And on the outside of bulkhead ground level with bottom drain retrofit.
check valve —-> strainer——> pump

Id prefer to stay with 2” as have full swing check valve and plenty of pipe and fittings in this size.

Thank You very much!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My ascii didnt work right

Here are some borrowed photos from koiphen.

Attachments

• 5AC84239-D266-406B-8481-49BED6585796.jpeg
    5AC84239-D266-406B-8481-49BED6585796.jpeg
    27.8 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
2" lines for a 300 gallon pond is way over sized and head pressure will be negligible . So long as you get a pump that will turn that over 2 times or more an hour you'll be fine.

While i like having a bottom drain in my pond many here do not share the need for one. but what we all agree on is the need for a skimmer. as dirt dust leaves insects get into the pond they will primarily all be on the surface for a time and the sooner that gets to the filter the better so pulling off the surface is critical in my eyes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
2" lines for a 300 gallon pond is way over sized and head pressure will be negligible . So long as you get a pump that will turn that over 2 times or more an hour you'll be fine.

While i like having a bottom drain in my pond many here do not share the need for one. but what we all agree on is the need for a skimmer. as dirt dust leaves insects get into the pond they will primarily all be on the surface for a time and the sooner that gets to the filter the better so pulling off the surface is critical in my eyes
Thank you that is a huge help. The skimmer makes sense! do you suppose a vertical pipe made like an overflow but an inch below the waterline or so? Or should I diy something like this?

water
9c7a74ed-47d1-46f0-9e2f-ba9473fcf338_1.db77a0c906dcd28cfc25b0c88cde8d28.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The more it draws from the surface/ wider opening THE MORE IT PULLS THE SURFACE ONLY . THEY BOTH WORK

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hello and welcome- I'm I reading correctly- periha25000? Minimum rate on that pump is over 5000gph. A bit much for a 300 gal tank.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome- I'm I reading correctly- periha25000? Minimum rate on that pump is over 5000gph. A bit much for a 300 gal tank.
A lot much , though if you had a waterfall with most of the water going there and an intake at its base.
return jets all over the pond high and low . 5000 gph makes for a nice waterfall

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Thank you for all the advice! I look forward to getting started!
How is it going? I also have an above ground pond from the same stock tank you are planning, and use two small bogs to filter it. It’s doing quite well at just about a year in to the process. Feel free to take a peek at what I did or did not need to get this to work, link in signature. FWIW, I don’t have a bottom drain or a skimmer (it’s not under a tree and with a fence on two sides, the amount of stuff that blows into it is very minimal, plus I have marginal pots that tend to catch stuff like that anyway and either it gets taken up by plants or I can pull it out by hand with a small net or a hand skimmer, since one can easily reach across the entire pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hi Criscar! I have admired your pond and have shown the pictures to others over the past several weeks as evidence of how good these stock tank ponds can look. I have even been sourcing bamboo online to do something similar around the base.

We are having some pea gravel delivered for this project and a few others early next month so I have had to sit and stare at the parts I have accumulated and it is driving me nuts. Your pond looks Very nice and the plants thrive!

Especially the romaine, how high up above the water level does the romaine need to be? Its so incredible how well these plants do in the bogs! I’m planning on adding some biocenesis baskets in the bohg as well but will be fully covered with gravel. It’s been great fun, and addictive learning about all the aspects of water gardening and aquaculture.
Im trying not to cut Into the 300 gallon main tank, as I do not know how permanent this will be and I will never hear the end of it from everyone around here. So when I install the pump it will be plumbed up and over and back down and so I will have the check valve in the tank and a valve at the high point to bleed the air and to backfill with water to the primer pot. Honestly, I’m not Sure if this will cause problem for the pump.
I love the use of the McCourt spillway as well, and hope ours turns out as well as yours!
I look forward to sending updates with the progress.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
My pump is submerged in the pond, and the hose splitter is submerged in the pond so that in the event of a hose detaching, all the water stays in the pond. After the splitter the hoses to the bogs go up and over the edge of the pond and up to the bogs. Unless you plan to have a double pump system you need the bogs to be at a higher elevation than the pond itself so that gravity puts the water from the bogs back into the pond. I would be very worried about having the bogs lower than the level of the pond because of flood risk if the second return pump were to ever cut out.

I cut into my bogs to plumb from the side bottom, but if I had it to do over I think I would have just had the hoses go up and over the rim from the back with a small air hole just above bog level averting the need for the check valve in the first place. I definitely would not recommend cutting into the stock tank itself in any way.

Let me know if any of this doesn’t make sense.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You make perfect sense, the 150gallon stock tank above it will be on cement blocks and primered marine grade 3/4” plywood. I’ve got some aluminum I think i will be making the weir with I have seen some for sale from the us on eBay. I’ll use RTV black and bolt it in. ive promised everyone here a lot of water sound which has me eyeing the way you did the Mac court bog filter for additional return I like that very much!

Ask a Question