Head Height

Reaction score
Can someone explain head height to me please. I have a 3000 gallon pond and wanted to get a new pump for my pond. My pond is only 4 feet deep. But the line outlet runs about 20 feet to the two barrel filters before going to the waterfall. My pump stopped working so wanted to get a new one. The pump that gave up was given to me so not sure what to get. All have different head heights. Would i be ok with a 9' head height. What do i need.
Thanks

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The head height is ,how deep the pump is in the pond ,,And how high up you want to lift the water,,,the higher you lift the lower the flow...If your pump is 3 ft deep and your filter outlet is 5 ft above the pond it would have a
8 ft head.

Reaction score
Ok i see, my pond is 4' deep and the filter is about 20 feet away and the outlet of the filter is about 6 feet above the pond water level.

Camper Man

Pond Curator
Reaction score
The calcuators I have seen measure head height from the pond's surface. (As I understand it, pump depth isn't included because water pressure negates it.) Here's an example using the calculator below. Let's say I want to deliver 1,800 gallons per hour (30 gallons per minute) at my waterfall or other discharge point. I enter: 30 GPM, 1.5 inches pipe diameter, 20 feet pipe run length, and vertical height from pond's surface to discharge point of 6 feet. The calcuator tells me I need a pump that will deliver 1,800 gph (or around that amount) at 7.5 feet head height. This is the information a buyer would need to study the flow charts of various pumps. In this application, you'd probably end up with a pump rated between 3,000 and 5,000 gph (the measurement of maximum flow at Zero head height).

http://www.watergardenworld.com.au/HeadHeightCalculator.html

Camper Man

Pond Curator
Reaction score
With this calculator, you will notice that pipe diameter makes a HUGE difference in generating head height. Bigger pipe (say 1.5" or 2" diameter) creates a much lower head height than more restrictive 1" pipe.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
10' feet of horizontal run is equal to 1' of vertical vertical doesnt start untill waters surface...measure from the top of water up for heigth and add hoizontal. if your connection is 3' above water line and 20' away its 5' head heigth.,

Ask a Question