Heartbreaking Discovery

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I went out today for my water change and there was blood all over the skimmer cover. 4 fish gone. Nothing left but 2 scales. Sat right there and ate on the skimmer. What could that be? Raccoon, Skunk, Fisher Cat? What would go into the pond?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow that is awful and could be anything. My neighbor has koi and he has a net, electric wire and a fence. Nothing getting his fish anymore. I just have my net and a short wire fence that my net attaches to. Hope you can keep whatever it is out of there so it doesn't come back and finish them all off!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry to hear but now you are warned so you really need to take precautions and protect your fish every way you can until you can find what animal did it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have called a bunch of stores and all they have is the electric dog fence. Where would I purchase the low voltage wire?
Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
As far as what it could be, it could be a heron also. They do not just catch and eat them, they can put them on the ground first and stab them again before eating them. This could of all happened on the skimmer. It could be all the above as you already mentioned.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
home depot has electric fence stuff, at least here they do. Make sure you do not get continuous on, it kills critters, birds, rabbits etc. Ours pulses, so if something touches it , it can get away from the fence.

I have it just around flowers to keep the deer out of the nectar flowers, the pond just has a net.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yes I called my local tractor supply and was told all they had was the underground for dogs. I am very frustrated at this point. I live in MA, perhaps it's illegal?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
As far as what it could be, it could be a heron also. They do not just catch and eat them, they can put them on the ground first and stab them again before eating them. This could of all happened on the skimmer. It could be all the above as you already mentioned.
We had a heron a few years back, so we put a 3 tiered chained fence around the parameter and haven't had any problems. We also have a bridge over the pond and most of the time open the cantilever umbrella over it as well. I don't think their is enough wing span room for a heron. May be wrong.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you close to new hampshire? they have electric fence items, at tractor supply

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Are you close to new hampshire? they have electric fence items, at tractor supply
Hi, Yes I did call the tractor supply in Plaistow NH. They told me they only had the dog fence. Less the associate didn't understand what I was looking for.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Look on line, three different stores showed electric fence equipment, showing it available in the store, I just put in a ma zip code and got new hampshire stores. I bought most of mine on line.

Ask a Question