3DA95CEB-403A-4AED-9D8C-6E2E93B6D484.jpeg

Ready for the liner delivery today!
3DA95CEB-403A-4AED-9D8C-6E2E93B6D484.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Exciting! Do you have your plumbing all ready to install?

@bagsmom - here's what you need!
@rjrivero I was going to ask the same, which design are you planning to put in for the bog?
And how deep are you planning for the gravel?
That's a huge pond and bog, what size pump will you be using?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had cardinal flowers, marsh marigold but they slowly got overwhelmed and sort of poofed away.

I tried to keep my bog planted and organized, but over time gave up, what grows grows less stress and it does such a good job. My gardening style is the same, if there is space put it in. I have never had the pretty organized mulched gardens, mine are wild!

My mom was the same way, wild gardens lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Wow! Great project! Giant size too. That's going to be a great improvement to your water quality. I'm jealous of the machinery!
When I dug mine, I rented a Terramite. It's a small version of a backhoe. Blade in front and backhoe in back. It was quite fun.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Make sure we get a liner loaded shot! and installing and installed..................
My little tractor was no match for this big liner! We had to resort to dragging the pallet.

With the end lifted up, it lifted the front wheels off the ground. I had to steer using the left and right brakes like a tank!

C2977A3D-5C48-493F-BB75-5C52D67FCC2A.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
this is going to be my spill way. I need to do the trench for the plumbing feed lines then hopefully my muscle will be here for the liner wrestling!
736E3BAA-D9DE-4010-BB21-9166FDD5D71F.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Oh my! That's some liner!
Any idea what it weighs?
If that machine couldn't handle it...
How are you gonna do it? An army of very strong friends I'm guessing. Even with them...I don't know...that thing is huge!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh my! That's some liner!
Any idea what it weighs?
If that machine couldn't handle it...
How are you gonna do it? An army of very strong friends I'm guessing. Even with them...I don't know...that thing is huge!
Once the liner is in the hole I can unroll it and air cushion move it like we do the wrestling mats.

I think it’s 600lbs. The fact that it’s so unwieldy is the reason it’s so hard to handle. Two of us can lift and carry it, probably. But my muscle is going to be late. I put the gravel load on hold until I get this in the hole.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@rjrivero I was going to ask the same, which design are you planning to put in for the bog?
And how deep are you planning for the gravel?
That's a huge pond and bog, what size pump will you be using?
The plumbing will be a big 4” header pipe with 2” radials coming off of it. The 4” header will be about 4” below the floor of the bog (which will be right at 12” deep.).

The main reasons are twofold. The 4” header will slow intake flow rate. It is recessed so Sediment will find it’s way into this header when backflushing the system. I’ll be using a transfer/trash pump to do this. I’ll have to see if the concept is valid when I clean all the stone after installation into the bog. I will place all the stone, fill the bog and use my transfer pump to wash all the stone recirculating a majority of the pump output and spraying it onto the stone while diverting a smaller volume of output water until clear, hopefully. :unsure:

I’m going to be targeting a flow of 10,000 gph via a pair of 2” flexible pvc tubes from a pair of 5000 gph pumps in opposite corners of the pond. I still won’t turn over the volume of the pond but every 6 days. Kinda slow I know but slow and steady wins the race? Can it really hurt? I got nothing now! ‍:LOL:

All the radials are going to be connected to equalize flow through the whole system. I have 17 of each 10 foot 2” pipes, and 60 foot of 4” pipe along with a bunch of connectors and clean outs. I’ll show a picture of it when it’s done!

So all in all, this is one big experiment for me. Information I’ve complied from a bunch of different sources with my own twists along the way. I may have bitten off more than I can chew, but I’ll never admit it. If all of a sudden I go radio silent I’m probably stuck under this liner. If that’s the case, leave my body there and finish this bog!

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I still won’t turn over the volume of the pond but every 6 days.
Mine turns over once about every 2-3 hours. And my pond still stays perfect. The water going into the hot tub bog does not turn over that pond except every 2-3 weeks the flow is so low. But it still works. And I have a lot of plants in that pond.

This is the hot tub pond. Two of the fan tails.

ht.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mine turns over once about every 2-3 hours. And my pond still stays perfect. The water going into the hot tub bog does not turn over that pond except every 2-3 weeks the flow is so low. But it still works. And I have a lot of plants in that pond.

This is the hot tub pond. Two of the fan tails.

View attachment 123351
Thanks for keeping my hope alive!

Ask a Question