Heat & sun protection for a Skippy filter?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am about to move my Skippy to its 3rd temp location [it will be there until next spring]. The last 2 locations have been somewhat shaded, but this time it's going to be in full sun. It's a 100 gal Rubbermaid stock tank. I was thinking I could put a plastic lid of some sort on top, and paint it white....:confused:, but the tank is black and I don't think that material will hold paint, or I'd paint it, too.

Any suggestions? Especially, tell me what WON'T work, so I'll know NOT to go there.....

Here in NW Louisiana, we'll have hot temps at least through early to mid-October, with fluctuations starting in early October.

I'll keep the Skippy running through the winter, as our temps don't usually drop enough to be a problem with freezes -- at least it hasn't the past 2 winters and Skippy did fine.

Oh, what about a wooden frame with with insulation enclosed..... Hmmmm.....:)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Optimum temperature for nitrifying bacteria is 77 to 86 degree water. Does your water get warmer than that?
I monitored the 300 gallon tank that is housing the fish. It's under an EZ-UP shelter, and partially shaded by a tree -- it still gets a few hours of indirect sunlight. It's gotten up to 84 degrees.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Maggie, Have you thought about building a wood wrap that would hide the stock tank? I did this with a 300 stock tank that I used as a QT/hospital tank. I wrapped the tank with bubble insulation from Lowes and the build a fence type structure around the tank to hide it. Worked really well. For a top If you have enough water space try and cover with plants if possible, if not Weed fabric works great for shading, is light weight, and cheap for a temporary cover.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Just put something over it. Like a board, a cheap tent or something. Easiest thing I can think of is those foam insulation boards you can buy at Home Depot. Buy a couple, cut them up and glue them into a cover you can put over it.

Ask a Question