heat wave - should I worry?

Reaction score
wowee it's hot here! Last time I checked the temp, it was 101F in the shade. My pond is deep, which is helping things, but it has crept up to 84F.

Fish don't look stressed at all. Spitter is going for aeration. I've cut down on feeding, and did a 10% water change.

How hot is "too hot"? Goldies are cold water fish - if my indoor goldfish were at 84F they'd be stressed...

Reaction score
wow, that is hot for Canada!
We have been in the 80's and 90's here and today it was in the 50's!!
I put my arms in the pond today to put a dead lilly pad and the water was much hotter than the air. I think that with a 1400 gallon pond, you should be OK. The temp should not swing too drastically to effect them. I had a pond at my house in Las Vegas during the hottest summer in 30 years. It was over 120 for 7 days in a row. My fish survived just fine. algae may bloom though.

Reaction score
yeah, it usually gets pretty hot here in the summer, although this is a bit extreme for us. Usually we sit around the mid eighties and don't generally get up past the mid 90s.

A lot of folk don't realize though, Western Canada and the prairies can get very hot. Lytton is BC's hotspot, and it is usually around 100 in the summer.

Anyhow, good to know my fish should be okay :) The heat seems to have broken somewhat, and the forecast says it's going to continue to cool until it rains on the 6th, then it will start to heat up again...

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Yeah were sorry about that chillgirl but we have been enjoying the cooler weather this month....and the rain...
if it was normal here my water would be a lot warmer...it 75 right now
your Koi should be fine

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's been well over 100 here for a couple of days. Most people with plants should worry about O2 at night. Underwater plants will help add oxygen to the pond during the daylight it will use up the available oxygen at night. During the Summer I run a air pump with air stones in my pond 24/7 except when feeding and viewing.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It has been hot enough here to run the AC daily. I worry about the 3000 or more in Aquariums when the shed gets to over 103 degrees. So far the only losses have been natural selection related.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Its still been hot here 85 to 90....normal would be 100
we do keep are air on 24/7 68 deg dont turn it off untill we turn on the heat

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Here in Tacoma, WA, we had some record breaking temps. It started last Tuesday, and with the same concerns a ChilliGirl I put up a 10'X10' awning over the pond that I had stored in the garage. I also jurryrigged my garden hose with a nozzle hanging from inside of the awning, and sprayed a gentle mist over pond. I used the mist spray about three times each day for about fifteen minutes each time. As a result the pond water didn't get over 78 degrees F. When we had the record breaking tremps on Wednesday of 104 degrees F., I was sure the water temps in my pond would rise much higher than 78 Degrees. The fish and the plants didn't show any sighs of distress at all. Actually the shubunkins seemed to have more of an appitite than usual. Every time I approached my pond the Shubunkins acted like I hadn't fed them for a couple days.

Reaction score
Yeah this heat wave's been something else eh? I'm just a couple hours north of you oldmarine.

It seems I've been worrying unnecessarily. Thermometer hasn't gone past 84, and the fish look fine.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Were going to warm up next week...It should cool you guys off

Reaction score
We have had a cold snap here. It was 45 degrees yesterday! I thought my fish were going to hide near the bottom but they did not seem to care.

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
I am in Eugene Or. and the temp over the last week got up to as much as 106F. My pond is about 350gal but I didn't even get a chance to check the temp on it. I had just beat the algae boom earlier in the week and the next day was the first about 100F. As it got hotter, it just keep getting clearer. The boom must have started (I didn't realize it at the time) the same time about that I put the fish in. The fish are acting as they always have but I have only had them for a little over a week so that doesn't tell me much. They seem to like to just hang out under the floating plants I have. I am hoping that they will get more active as soon as they get more comfortable with me.

Ask a Question