Heater needed?

DK910

6burg
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a/b
Country
United States
Looking ahead to the inevitable, should I invest in a 50watt less or more heater or just run my pump 3-5 hours as I’m currently doing through the winter and Of course don’t let it freeze over. I’m more concerned about the oxygen levels and possible freeze..thanks in advance ☺️

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Some here use something called "pond breathers" that keep a hole open if it freezes. Oh and think you need to change your Hardiness zone on your account cuz Pa is no way in zone12! You can also run an aerator.

JBViper4

Fishkeeper
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I just put a horse trough heater in mine (900G) every October thru May. It keeps things aerated and doesn't freeze thru even in tough winters for koi, comets and shubunkins. $30 or so from Tractor Supply.

DK910

6burg
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a/b
Country
United States
Some here use something called "pond breathers" that keep a hole open if it freezes. Oh and think you need to change your Hardiness zone on your account cuz Pa is no way in zone12! You can also run an aerator.
What zone is it vs no way it’s 12‍♂️

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes..it’s only 150 gallons..2ft deep
Hi you definitely don’t need to heat it unless you have stock in the local utility company! Sometimes the thermostats don’t work properly and it can be very expensive to run a heater. Also warmer water in the winter may allow bacterial infections in your fish so it’s better to let nature run its course literally and figuratively. The best solution Is a pond breather. Also you can put in an aerator but leave it running 24/7. Sometimes if you have a heavy snowfall even the breather can get buried by snow for a few days and it’s good to have an aerator to pump some air in the water to help with gas exchange so they don’t suffocate from lack of O2. I also run a water pump all winter but if you do that you have to make sure the flow doesn’t freeze up and go to where you don’t want it to make an ice skating rink! I’ve done that! Now explain to me why we are talking about ice and snow and it was 92 degrees here yesterday!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As @CometKeith says, heaters can be expensive to run. I only run the heater in my 700 gallon pond in the coldest of winter conditions to keep a hole in the ice. Otherwise, my goldfish don't require the warmth and have successfully made it through two Massachusetts winters so far.

DK910

6burg
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a/b
Country
United States
Hi you definitely don’t need to heat it unless you have stock in the local utility company! Sometimes the thermostats don’t work properly and it can be very expensive to run a heater. Also warmer water in the winter may allow bacterial infections in your fish so it’s better to let nature run its course literally and figuratively. The best solution Is a pond breather. Also you can put in an aerator but leave it running 24/7. Sometimes if you have a heavy snowfall even the breather can get buried by snow for a few days and it’s good to have an aerator to pump some air in the water to help with gas exchange so they don’t suffocate from lack of O2. I also run a water pump all winter but if you do that you have to make sure the flow doesn’t freeze up and go to where you don’t want it to make an ice skating rink! I’ve done that! Now explain to me why we are talking about ice and snow and it was 92 degrees here yesterday!
First, thank you for sharing your knowledge with the rookie ☺️ Breather or aerator? Can the pump alone 24/7 suffice? I usually only run mines 4-5 hours per day. My explanation ☺️ Because I’ve Invested a few $$ in this and because I don’t want to kill anymore (2) fish, I like to be prepared for the inevitable :(

DK910

6burg
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a/b
Country
United States
First, thank you for sharing your knowledge with the rookie ☺️ Breather or aerator? Can the pump alone 24/7 suffice? I usually only run mines 4-5 hours per day. My explanation ☺️ Because I’ve Invested a few $$ in this and because I don’t want to kill anymore (2) fish, I like to be prepared for the inevitable :(
Also, would just a simple small pump to create bubbles suffice for the co2???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Also, would just a simple small pump to create bubbles suffice for the co2???
Hey. So everyone’s pond is slight different so it’s hard to say exactly what anyone else needs. I’m in Chicago so I’m guessing we get more snow than you do. You can try running an aerator and see how that works. It is a good source of dissolved O2 for your pond. If your pond does freeze over you can put a pot with boiling water on the ice to melt a hole. If I had a choice of just one thing for my pond for the winter I would always go with a pond breather. In the 5 years I have been using it I have never lost one fish due to winter conditions except for one poor fish that decided to swim into my bog that isn’t very deep :(

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
In response to hardiness zone- Pittsburg , Pa is zone 6. The pond breathers do work great but have been discontinued by the manufacturer so may be hard to find one.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes..it’s only 150 gallons..2ft deep
How wide and long is it? If it’s a container pond, is there any way you can just take it inside for the winter months?
What zone is it vs no way it’s 12‍♂️
2FF757F1-B679-4C7A-AED7-CF1E4548DDA0.jpeg

Ask a Question