Heating a Koi Pond

Reaction score
I get snowstorms from time to time in the winter and sometimes the temperature will be down long enough to create up to an inch of ice. I have a waterfall which usually keeps a hole in the ice for oxygen to get in and gases to get out otherwise I make a hole in the ice often doing both. The fish go into hibernation and when the temperature eventually rises in the Spring the fish will move about a bit etc. This has been the pattern for years. But I have wondered from time to time if I should put a heater in the pond as 1) it would less stressful maybe on the fish?? 2) we'd enjoy them for longer. Our winter can go from end of October to May. These last 2 years weather has been erratic so I've fed them when the water temp is high enough for at least 2 -3 days. My husband complains at the thought of the cost of heating a pond (about 14x6wide) so
maybe I should forget it?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Considering that you would need the equivalent of a swimming pool heater only it would need to run 24/7, your husband is probably conservatively right! It would likely cost more than even he imagines. Only for people with quite deep pockets.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
The fish are fine,keep in mind that koi are carp,carp in my neck of the woods go through this yearly in every natural body of water they exist. My pond gets more then an inch of ice if I don't have a pump moving it. I used just a laguna surface deicer last winter and all was well with just the 10 inch hole it made.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Dont disrupt nature. Carp species have evolved to tolerate cold water. If you heat the water, I suspect you wouls do more harm then good. If they can swim, they can live.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not sure where you live but pond water temps would help .I live in VA and I use a 250 watt pond heater and it comes on when the water temps get cold enough or what your lowest temps. are in the winter and how long they stay that cold .It keeps a hole in the ice and that is all I need in the winter .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I've noticed that the more people try and mess around with heaters and chemicals to try and control their ponds, the more problems people have trying to keep their fish healthy.
Focus on good aeration during the winter. Heating ponds is a waste of money, imo.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I have to agree. Heating outside ponds is not a good idea. A pond, even in the very worst of weather, like Siberianian winters will likely only freeze to 8 inches. If your pond is deeper then that (and I assume it is), your fish are safe and sleepy and not even paying attention.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think alot of it relates to people putting fish in the same category of pet as a cat or dog. What's best for pond fish in the winter is just to let their natural bodily functions kick in. It's difficult to not let a nurturing instinct kick in and want to feed them. I know I had a hell of a time with saying goodbye to my pond fish for the winter my first few years. Now I look forward to 5 months of not having to worry about them!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I have to agree. Heating outside ponds is not a good idea. A pond, even in the very worst of weather, like Siberianian winters will likely only freeze to 8 inches. If your pond is deeper then that (and I assume it is), your fish are safe and sleepy and not even paying attention.

My pond has had 2 feet of ice on it..;)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just use my heater to keep an opening and have it on a switched outlet in the house so I can control when it comes on .I do use an aerator also in my pond .I also control all the outlets by my pond with switches that are in my master bedroom closet .No need to go outside to unplug things .My son thought of that when he wired up everything and I am glad he did .Saves me from having to go outside in bad weather .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I use a thermo cube for my heater. It saves money as you only care if the temperature drops below 35. My pond is not deep enough yet for me to feel safe without it but if yours is 3 feet, then you're good without on.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
My pond has had 2 feet of ice on it..;)

ONLY two feet??? As a former ice fisherman, I have seen many occasions when a 3' long ice auger failed to reach liquid water!
Not sure where you live but pond water temps would help .I live in VA and I use a 250 watt pond heater and it comes on when the water temps get cold enough or what your lowest temps. are in the winter and how long they stay that cold .It keeps a hole in the ice and that is all I need in the winter .
There is a lot of mis-use of the term "heater" among ponders. A heater is designed to raise the temperature of the water so that it doesn't freeze. What Sissy (and many others) use is a "de-icer", which only warms the water immediately surrounding it, then shuts off until that small amount of H2O again cools below the freezing point. This permits the noxious gasses to escape the pond, while allowing oxygen INTO the water, preventing winter kill.
John

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just use my heater to keep an opening and have it on a switched outlet in the house so I can control when it comes on .I do use an aerator also in my pond .I also control all the outlets by my pond with switches that are in my master bedroom closet .No need to go outside to unplug things .My son thought of that when he wired up everything and I am glad he did .Saves me from having to go outside in bad weather .

Wow sissy, That is awfully fancy having your outlets in the house to work the pond equipment (y)

Ask a Question