hedgehogs

Reaction score
I've had two hedgehogs drowning in my pond in a year and think its ever so sad. Is there anything I can do except for covering the pond?

Reaction score
Have you put a bog area or a beach area that will let them get out on their own? I would think that would be the only thing you could do.

Reaction score
Sad. The beach area is a good idea, as would be a log or plank angling out of the water. My friend took a plank and covered it in bark. It looks relatively natural, and has saved a couple of groundhogs so far.

I know other people put nearly invisible plastic netting just below the water surface so nothing can get in and sink.

Reaction score
I don't know about ground hogs not sinking. Around here we grow them puppies pretty big :).

I like the idea of the log coming out of the pond. It would also make a nice perch for turtles.

Reaction score
How sad. We don't have praire dogs around here (New England). But it is important to have a shallow area in any pond go anything that goes in for a drink can get out.

Reaction score
We don't have much problem with things getting in or even around our ponds. The wildlife has the creek out back and the springs out front and I think they prefer hanging out there because they don't have to deal with the dogs as much.

Reaction score
Wow, i never thought about groundhogs drowning. We're forever getting birds that drown in our pond. I have put rocks there so maybe they cold get out when they fall in, but i still find two or three dead birds a summer.

Reaction score
Birds drowning? You wouldn't even think that was possible. I would think they would be able to fly out.

Reaction score
yes hedgehogs apparentlyu cannot see water, so keep this in mind if there are many of these cute animals in your area.

Reaction score
Really? Are they nearsighted, or is it something else? And what area do hedgehogs normally live? You'd think it would have to be someplace away from water if they can't swim. And now that I think of it, how do they drink if they drown? I see a hedgehog project in my children's future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cisifom

Latest Threads