Helix skimmer issue

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just opened our small koi pond for the season (vacuumed and turned on pump). Mesh pad in place and it's clean. Haven't added any carbon, filter media or chemicals yet. The floating weir inside the skimmer basket is sitting too high and therefore is not pulling in debris. Pond water level is fine. Connection between pump and waterfall is with underground tubing. But something isn't pulling water rapidly enough to make the skimmer work well. Ideas or suggestions?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The basket in the helix is a very simple design. theres one of two reasons itis not pulling from the surface .
1. your pump is not pulling enough to pull it down low enough so it draws from the surface.
2. So the quick and easy answer is the basket has a hollow ring thats open on the bottom, so all it does it float tap vigorously on the basket submerging it knocking out some of the air and it will not sit as high and it will pull from the top as you are looking for

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1616692386686.gif
@PegM1

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Has the skimmer worked well in the past for you? If the suggestions above don’t resolve the problem, you may want to contact the company. @bagsmom don’t you have a Helix?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I do! And I love it! I have had it riding a little high when the water level is really high - like after a big rain.
I thought the idea to tap out a few air bubbles was a good one.
I also wonder if the pump is running a little slow? Like maybe it needs to be cleaned to make it run with a little more "oomph?"

Ask a Question