Hello All From Sunny North Florida

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are about to begin contruction of our first pond. It's going to be a simple garden pond about 20 feet long and 4-6 feet wide in sort of a J shape with a small waterfall. The deepest depths we plan are 4 feet on the end holding the pump and farthest from the waterfall. I expect to be asking nurerous and myriad stupid questions. I certainly hope to learn from all the experience here.

Our first challenge is that the area we are limited to installing our pond has limited sunlight. Even with trimming trees as far as we dare we are going to have 30% sun or so. Anyone with anyone ideas or opinions on this we are eager to hear.

Thanks

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond doesn't get alot of sunlight once the trees leaf up in the late spring. That's fine and actually beneficial as it will help keep green water away. Even with limited sunlight I still had a huge beautiful Lilly that completely covered the pond.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Shade is good for a garden pond tho it may limit some of your plantings that want a ton of sun. Pleased to meet you.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I prefer full-sun exposure for maximum plant choice.

For full sun, lilies should cover roughly 65-70% of the pond surface to inhibit algae.

Make sure that you incorporate a skimmer, as far away from the waterfall as possible. With skimmers, remember, bigger is better (don't get a dinky one, but keep it in scale to the pond). Don't bury your water lines, disguise them for easy access. Marginal plantings are key, they're your best, natural source of "filtration". Remember during the dig, to incorporate shelves to accommodate marginal. Some marginal are better off grown in large pots to inhibit their invasiveness.

I envy those of you that are able to grow tropical lilies. As for myself, I can't be bothered with removing them from the pond and storing them for winter. Tropicals, are by far, the most beautiful of the lilies.

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! No questions are stupid -- they're just questions that no one else has had the guts to ask before.

No real advice regarding reduced sunlight [we recently cut down some trees, so now have the opposite problem], but that's going to depend a lot on what kind of plants you plan to grow. There are many members here who have more shady ponds which do quite well. There are even water lilies that will tolerate less light. The biggest issue I can think of would be keeping the leaves out of the pond.

Do you plan to have fish?

One thing I would like to comment on, and it's something that was pointed out to me during my initial planning stages -- that has to do with the shape of the pond. If you're going to have an odd shaped pond, be sure you have good water movement and filtration throughout -- it's simply a matter of planning. And it might not be an issue so much with a garden pond [I have goldfish].

Be sure to take lots of pictures and post them and updates as you go along. We really do enjoy watching ponds grow!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Guys, I am in Panama City. We do plan on a few fish. Not sure what yet. We have not researched that far. I like the idea if figuring out a local species that I could use.

As far as the odd shape of our pond, I am hoping that putting the pump in deep water on one end and the return via waterfall in the other will be sufficient. Always open to ideas.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome, we'd like photos of your progress. We just love looking at ponds.

No question is stupid. Having a question and not asking it - that's stupid.
I've learnt a lot from this forum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
30% sun may be to your advantage if it includes midday shade, that can be quite traumatic on fish and plants, prolonged sun and heat

Ask a Question