Hello All! Just trying to make my pond the best it can be!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Oh Also previous owner said it was 3200g by his calculations, but cant remember exactly how he got to that number just he remembered the number.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A bald liner pond is fine, its all in the eye of the beholder...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Right! With it being a dark black, being in a hill/retaining wall its less looking down into and more looking at the back wall I dont think it will bother me much, and if it does, later I can stack more field stone up on the back, I'd like to avoid this as the pallets are 250-300 ea around here and if i go off the deep end like i do with live rock, ill end up with a mountain in the back yard searching for the perfect puzzle pieces!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There's ways to cheat and not buy a single rock.

Remove the cap rock around the pond and at about 6 inches down below water level peal the liner inward and dig a very shallow shelf that you can use to place the field stone on edge leaning against the wall the shelf will help keep it from falling in. here's some other details to give you some ideas

1646788661634.png

1646788725539.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
good idea on that, make a small ledge for it to lean back on, and build a flat wall instead of a stacked one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you can use mortar or even waterfall expandable foam to help lock them in place. i did similar in My showcase in the section dead pool or intake bay. your looking at an addition i built to my pond all the rock above the water is actual the vertical rise from the bottom and are all underwater. can't say how long the foam will last but im betting so long as no one is walking on it it will last many years . its been two years now
dead pool rocked 5.14.2020.3.jpg
dead pool rock.jpg
DEAD POOL (100 of 1)-2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I may go the foam way, there was still plenty left in the waterfall area of this pond when pulled up all of it. Some held on tight to that liner and the rock even likely a decade of being built. I appreciate the feedback and the ideas, that pond of yours is crazy! Looks like a render its so well put together.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
THANK YOU i hope it can help . leave some feed back in the comments what you like what helped

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I saw the bog filter mentioned often in this forum as i looked earlier today but a quick glance shows its incredibly low maintenance but also large space needed, with my pond being built on a retaining wall in front and to the right, against a fence to the rear, and a large oak to the left i dont think i have much space without removing the waterfall, also the area to the left is graded away from pond so even if i worked around the tree it would take landscaping to grade it back towards the pond so the water flows back.
Welcome. You have a nice base for a great pond already (and son-labor to help!). I'm a new bog-convert and have one that's a little undersized, but it's still handling filtration. Even if you aren't able to do one as large as you think you need due to space, I'd recommend you consider it, even if supplemental filtration. I love the plants in my bog, too, if you're a garden-lover.
I look forward to seeing your pictures as you go along.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! Nice pond to start with. Stick with goldfish a lot easier in a smaller pond.

Check bogs that is all i filter with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Agree w/ @SarahT. Bog doesn’t have to be the only filter. Even if it’s too small to handle the whole load, it’s better than not having one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! Your Son (so cute) is going to LOVE the pond...My fondest memories are of our pond when I was his age...I spent hours watching all of the interesting inhabitants...I learned so much about nature at such a young age...So many children are lacking that interaction...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! Your Son (so cute) is going to LOVE the pond...My fondest memories are of our pond when I was his age...I spent hours watching all of the interesting inhabitants...I learned so much about nature at such a young age...So many children are lacking that interaction...
Hes not loving the work aspect of it so far! But hard work builds character and appreciation. He loves my saltwater tanks so hopefully getting him involved in this and letting him have a bigger role in choosing fish and plants and design will push him more into nature, though its hard to keep him out of the woods already!

Ask a Question