hello all pond people

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
i just acquired a plastic pre moulded pond its approx 6ft long 3 ft wide 3 ft deep, dug a hole and filled it with water
where did i go wrong?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@doobry What ya gonna put in there? Plants and fish? A pump and filter would help keep it clean.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
View attachment 119460@doobry What ya gonna put in there? Plants and fish? A pump and filter would help keep it clean.
its says 500 0n the base is that litres? so how many gallons is it?,also what type of pond pump and filter would you recommend
to suit thisit will house about 12 goldfish and plants which i will need help with
how do i fit the pond to be level with surround or do i put it below the surround
any kind of help would be appreciated
thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
About 132 gallons. Are you going to have fish?
hopefully a dozen gold fish or so living in a as comfortable environment as possible with clear clean water

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am confused about the volume of your pond. 6 feet long x 3 feet wide and 3 feet deep should be roughly 400 gallons assuming the entire depth is 3 feet and the pond is a perfect rectangle. But you mention it says 500 on the base. Given the dimensions 6x3x3 it is doubtful your pond is 500 liters (132 gallons) unless....the depth and width are not exactly 3 feet. Does the pond have a plant shelf around the perimeter and get shallow at one end?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
its a basin with shelves the deep part is about 2ft by 1ft and staggers out and up the sides(if that makes any sense) maybe that would explain the approx dim s i said
sorry i never said and thanks for the reply

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
i drained it today and tried to get a few buckles out and couldnt, it distorted over night the side wall( if i can call it that) caved in wards so this time i propped it with a stick to stop it and low and behold when it was ful it buckled in again ?argh can somebody help
its a starter 500 preformed pond

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is the dirt level below the pond? No holes no gaps. They say to line the hole with sand so it sits level and firm.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
Ireland
Is the dirt level below the pond? No holes no gaps. They say to line the hole with sand so it sits level and firm.
no the dirt level is above the pond and i tried packing as much into the air space between the liner and ground
i drained it again today and reset it, and refilled, i have to live with it i suppose ??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
From what I've read on this site and personal deduction, those preform ponds seem quite difficult to get just right. If it ends up not level, the water will be high on one side and the other side will have the plastic exposed.
I think you would have to do several dry runs to get it at least good. Sand would be my choice too. Get the soil on the bottom as near perfect level and depth. If the soil is loose, I would pound it down as much as possible. Then add sand to fine tune it. If the sides are below the ground, soil and other debris will get washed into the pond. I would install it with the sides a little higher and build the soil up to it. A slight mount or upgrade so nothing washes into it. The pond will probably settle a bit anyway with all the weight of the water.
I think the bottom being level and correct depth is more important than filling in the sides. Once it's set, you can start filling in the sides.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had two preforms, after a few winters they shifted, then after one real cold winter one of them cracked. That summer I yanked them dug a bit deeper, removed the shelves made them a tiny bit wider, there was not much room for wider, and put in liner.

The blue line is the 300 gallon stock tank lotus tub, the two red lines are the two ex- preforms, both preforms were around 200 some gallons, 6 feet or so in length, that I yanked and put in liners. The black line to the right is the 1000 gallon stock tank. Even the stock tanks sank a bit after winters. And I put them on rock dust which hardens up nicely.
The bottom pond is partly hidden in this picture. They are on a built up flat spot that I built as part of the big pond and bog. The far side of the ponds is a built up 4 foot wall, with just enough room to get my mower through between them and the fence.
Capture.JPG

Ask a Question