Hello and advice please!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I’m Miranda. I am Australian but now in the UK. I have brought a old dilapidated property with 9 acres of jumanji style woodland. There is a pond. In the olden days or horse and cart this would be the spot where they would break to drink on the journeys from London to Canterbury in Kent. In the pond there is a brick well which I am told is very deep. I am really unsure how to manage maintain reinvigorate this pond. There’s no planting other than over grown laurels, they’d some rotting fallen trees in the pond and a big of spawn. The land around is quite boggy, but apparently it dries out in summer. I don’t know if I can do something nice with the pond - do you have some ideas? I e attached a photo. Ps if you like following garden and house transformation check out insta @forgotten_victorian_rectory

Attachments

• 5581AECE-8BB6-4FB6-B6E0-14E5D2384ACE.jpeg
    5581AECE-8BB6-4FB6-B6E0-14E5D2384ACE.jpeg
    432.2 KB · Views: 57

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hello I’m Miranda. I am Australian but now in the UK. I have brought a old dilapidated property with 9 acres of jumanji style woodland. There is a pond. In the olden days or horse and cart this would be the spot where they would break to drink on the journeys from London to Canterbury in Kent. In the pond there is a brick well which I am told is very deep. I am really unsure how to manage maintain reinvigorate this pond. There’s no planting other than over grown laurels, they’d some rotting fallen trees in the pond and a big of spawn. The land around is quite boggy, but apparently it dries out in summer. I don’t know if I can do something nice with the pond - do you have some ideas? I e attached a photo. Ps if you like following garden and house transformation check out insta @forgotten_victorian_rectory
that is a nice natural pond. i would clean some of the debris out of it and get a air / water pump with to get the water moving a little. welcome

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1621960612325.gif
and welcome @TheLostPond
Looks like it could become a nice pond w/a bit of cleaning out and water movement. How deep is it and wide etc.? If the dog is drinking it then it must be pretty good water. Do you want fish?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

Nice looking natural pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! Very pretty spot you have there!

A natural pond is a bit of a different thing than what most of us manage in our lined garden ponds. You may want to check out this website - they are more geared toward the type of pond you have:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 139302and welcome @TheLostPond
Looks like it could become a nice pond w/a bit of cleaning out and water movement. How deep is it and wide etc.? If the dog is drinking it then it must be pretty good water. Do you want fish?
It’s about 50-100cm deep - so not massively deep. Will do a big clear out and see what it looks like. Fish could be fun!

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome! Very pretty spot you have there!

A natural pond is a bit of a different thing than what most of us manage in our lined garden ponds. You may want to check out this website - they are more geared toward the type of pond you have:

yes it is a bit different but the ponds yall have would still look good with any kind of water in it. that is what i was looking for

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome Miranda! Very interesting history your pond has.

Ask a Question