Hello. and HELP! Sick koi

Reaction score
Hello all!
I have been waiting to create an account for my new pond to show my fish and also have to opportunity to ask any questions. And unfortunately my first question is an emergency and urgent and hope someone can help me. After battling with pea soup water we finally got out water looking clear! And were able to see all our beautiful 8 fish. 3 Goldfish and 5 Koi. All have been eating well, and behaving normally up until yesterday when the goldfish began to show some spawning behavior. The large male was chasing the two females around the last two days. So this morning I noticed my favorite koi was hiding, not schooling with the others and resting near the bottom. I had possible reasons behind why but thought I would get some advice so try and treat the poor guy before I lose it. I considered it had possibly spawned and was resting? Eggbound? or even sick... I wanted to check the fish for any signs of disease or infection. I was able to catch the fish and saw its abdomen was very swollen and anus was inflammed as if eggs were going to pop out. As far as is being dropsy, I didn't see the pine cone raised scales but there was some redness around the lateral line and near gills. All other fish are fine by the way. I can try and upload some pics once I get the fish in the quarantine tank. So again the fish is isolated from group, not schooling, not coming to eat, inflamed anus and swollen abdomen.
Thank you

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wish I could help, but no clue on koi sickness. Pictures would help those that know koi help you out. Hope by now the fish is better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Your koi may very well have an internal infection which will need treating by antibiotics you can get someone who knows what they are doing to inject your koi with a syringe with an antibiotic like baytril or one that they suggest..
The other way which many disaprove of its to split the treatment over ten days using pelleted food as the vessle to give the fish antibiotics but its a hit and miss method at best.
If you do go down this route get a ziplock bag and add 25 ml of baytril to the bag then add four handfuls of pelleted food to the bag and simply kneed the bag gently so that the pellets remain intact they will soak up the antibiotic so it can be fed to your koi.
do this until the entire bottle is used up over 10 days however it may very well be egg bound if so you'll need someone who's stripped a koi before either way you'll need someone to identify the problem for you I live in the UK so cant make that call for you , your best bet would be to ask the dealership you bought it from to help at least if needed they can give your koi an injection if needed
Did you at all see if this koi was being chased ?...it may even be just plain tired ....

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question