Hello! And so glad I found this site!

Reaction score
Country
United States
My name for now is DanceBird (Sometimes its Betty Parkway:D) . I live on a 2 acre Homestead in North Carolina, and have been here full time for about 7 1/2 years. One of the things (among many!) that I LOVE about my little piece of happiness is the beautiful Koi pond that was already here and thriving. It is approximately 18' by 20", an irregular shape, with a lovely waterfall. There is a fiberglass roof over it and a fence most of the way around to keep out herons and raccoons. (Unfortunately, one of my chickens fell in and drowned.) Buying my Homestead was a total leap into the unknown, and really, pretty crazy! I grew up in New York City, but always craved for the solitude of being in the country. There was an old aboveground pool, the Koi Pond, and room for every one of my many varied interests! Upstairs art room, downstairs "community art room" where friends would come over before Covid, mosaic studio, meditation room, and beautiful, very old oak and Beech trees . It was home the first time I saw it. I had no idea how to take care of a pool, let alone a Koi pond, and had had no luck keeping goldfish alive in a small aquarium when my kids were little. But I jumped in and have never regretted taking the leap!
I was working full time as a nurse at a local Veterans Administration hospital, and getting very burned out, but planned on working another 3 years. In December of 2021, I was in a head on colision with a pick up truck veering into my lane, and have not been able to work since then. (Head injury but otherwise fine!) UIt is a miracle that I am alive, and I am grateful for every day.
OK, now on to my pond! It became really bedraggled, all of the plants were gine (I had many beautiful water lillies) but I did not really notice they were disappearing due to being in a state of very slow recovery. The pond had a turtle in it for awhile, so I wonder if the turtle ate the plants? The pond base is concrete, and there has been a leak for quite awhile. I finally am trying to restore and renew my pond, with the help of some truly amazing neighbors. A farmer friend gave me a large fiberglass tub, which is where we transferred the fish to. I have 3 very large Koi, a number of Comets, and several Shabunkins. I used to have a lot of frogs as well, and they too have disappeared. So I have a lot of work on my hands to get the pond back to how beautiful it used to be. I stumbled upn this site by accident, and I am so glad that I found it! I will post pictures tomorrow, but will say hello again to everyone, and that I am so happy to be here!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WELCOME TO THE GROUP.... from another head case, but i can chose from 4 instances where i got my bell wrung so i hear you loud and clear.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! Many turtles will eat plants but you would notice a gradual consumption with scalloped bites out of the lily leaves if you had a lot of them. Look forward to you pictures.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like a wonderful adventure. we love to help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome!

I would suspect your lilies are just in need of some TLC. If they get too big in their pots (which I'm assuming they are potted and not free range in the pond?) they will eventually die back completely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Welcome. It's a terrific group, lots of knowledge and always willing to help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome from TN :) So glad you found this site - there's a bunch of very experienced people here that just really like helping others.

Be sure and post some pics when you can, they really help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Welcome! Sounds like you have a little slice of heaven there! Looking forward to the pics!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1676225953413.gif

1676225981278.gif
@DanceBird

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
More than likely they lost the site.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
My name for now is DanceBird (Sometimes its Betty Parkway:D) . I live on a 2 acre Homestead in North Carolina, and have been here full time for about 7 1/2 years. One of the things (among many!) that I LOVE about my little piece of happiness is the beautiful Koi pond that was already here and thriving. It is approximately 18' by 20", an irregular shape, with a lovely waterfall. There is a fiberglass roof over it and a fence most of the way around to keep out herons and raccoons. (Unfortunately, one of my chickens fell in and drowned.) Buying my Homestead was a total leap into the unknown, and really, pretty crazy! I grew up in New York City, but always craved for the solitude of being in the country. There was an old aboveground pool, the Koi Pond, and room for every one of my many varied interests! Upstairs art room, downstairs "community art room" where friends would come over before Covid, mosaic studio, meditation room, and beautiful, very old oak and Beech trees . It was home the first time I saw it. I had no idea how to take care of a pool, let alone a Koi pond, and had had no luck keeping goldfish alive in a small aquarium when my kids were little. But I jumped in and have never regretted taking the leap!
I was working full time as a nurse at a local Veterans Administration hospital, and getting very burned out, but planned on working another 3 years. In December of 2021, I was in a head on colision with a pick up truck veering into my lane, and have not been able to work since then. (Head injury but otherwise fine!) UIt is a miracle that I am alive, and I am grateful for every day.
OK, now on to my pond! It became really bedraggled, all of the plants were gine (I had many beautiful water lillies) but I did not really notice they were disappearing due to being in a state of very slow recovery. The pond had a turtle in it for awhile, so I wonder if the turtle ate the plants? The pond base is concrete, and there has been a leak for quite awhile. I finally am trying to restore and renew my pond, with the help of some truly amazing neighbors. A farmer friend gave me a large fiberglass tub, which is where we transferred the fish to. I have 3 very large Koi, a number of Comets, and several Shabunkins. I used to have a lot of frogs as well, and they too have disappeared. So I have a lot of work on my hands to get the pond back to how beautiful it used to be. I stumbled upn this site by accident, and I am so glad that I found it! I will post pictures tomorrow, but will say hello again to everyone, and that I am so happy to be here!
Welcome to the club, the best group out there

Ask a Question