Hello and SOS

Reaction score
Hello fellow pond lovers. My name is Murad and I live in Birmingham, UK. For those of you who are not that familiar with the Geography of England, its right smack bang in the middle of our small island.

I started keeping fish around 5 years ago and have a pretty smallish pond which holds around 700 imperial gallons (equivalent to 840 US gallons). I keep a mixture of koi carp and gold fish with a total of around 30 fish. Half of these are koi which range from 8 inches through to 15 inches. I have 4 koi which are around the 15 inch size. the goldfish are all between 8 and 10 inches.

I joined this forum as I have an immediate concern which I would be grateful if anyone could offer some help with. Today I noticed that a couple of the goldfish have started to develop small white spots on some of their fins... mainly their ventrical fins. The fish in question are, I imagine, around 7-8 years old. The spots dont appear (or havent yet appeared) on any other part of their bodies. Thankfully there are no signs of spots or ill health on any of the koi. Of course, I am hoping this isnt a case of the dreaded 'whitespot'. Is this something that anybody else has experienced or can advise on? Also, are there any precautionary measures i should be taking?

I have attached a few pictures below. Unfortunately the clarity isnt great.

Many thanks

Murad

Attachments

• IMG_1629.JPG
    IMG_1629.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_1632.jpg
    IMG_1632.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 319

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
hello from down the bottom right hand side of our small island :biggrin:
you will find some very helpfull people here ...im only learning so im not sure what the white is ...but ive got to say you have a lot of fish for a pond that size i think ..but i might be wrong

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It appears to be Ich. If it is, salt your pond or remove the fish to a hospital tank to treat them. I have information on my website about the medicinal value of salt. If you have plants, they will likely not survive the salt treatment.

Ask a Question