Hello, any fellow Canadians out there!

Reaction score
I have had my pond for about five years now. I built it myself (and I do mean myself my back can back me up on this). I used a Aquascape pond kit, size 10x15. I have made every mistake but I think i've got the hang of it now. I have to bring my Koi in during winter (its Canada eh!) I keep them in a 125 gallon tank in the kitchen with the pig (thats another story). This weekend is pond clean up so hopefully they will be back in the pond by Monday.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
welcome aboard...i winter my fish indoors too..dont really know if its neccessary for me, but i do it anyways...i have an 800 gal pond in my basement for them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomewagon-15.gif
Glad you joined. There are some Canadians around, I am sure they will chime in

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
hoppywelcome.gif
degan
Can't wait to hear the story about the pig in the kitchen. I hear they make very nice pets :)

pig7.gif

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum, Degan. I'm also in Ontario, and there are ways to overwinter your koi outdoors. Roughly where are you located? :wave:
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome! Sorry not a canadian here, but my hubby is. And my bestie is from Toronto.... :)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have had my pond for about five years now. I built it myself (and I do mean myself my back can back me up on this). I used a Aquascape pond kit, size 10x15. I have made every mistake but I think i've got the hang of it now. I have to bring my Koi in during winter (its Canada eh!) I keep them in a 125 gallon tank in the kitchen with the pig (thats another story). This weekend is pond clean up so hopefully they will be back in the pond by Monday.
IF YOU NEED ADVICE ON HOW TO WINTER YOUR POND IN CANADA I CAN HELP. I HAVE WINTERED MY POND FOR OVER 20 YEARS

Reaction score
My pond is only 2 feet deep in a area of 2ftx4ft. I left the fish in the first winter I made the pond with a bubbler to keep a hole open but the whole thing froze right to the bottom and I ended up with Fishicecles in the spring!
Welcome to the forum, Degan. I'm also in Ontario, and there are ways to overwinter your koi outdoors. Roughly where are you located? :wave:
John

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I winter my pond and have for over 20 years.. in Medicine Hat Alberta.
During the coldest winter the first two feet always freeze, so you must heat your pond with a heater.
I use a 1500 watt cattle heater from Peavy Mart. These heaters are cheap to buy, but costly to run.
My ponds are large (over 3500 gallons) and all flow together thru small waterways. The ponds are over 3 feet deep in some areas.
Aways keep your pond flowing, shut down spitters and waterfalls.
Redirect the water flow to the heater (this is the most important part). This will ensure that the pond is evenly heated and then the fish won't hang out at the heater.
I only heat my pond when it is minus 15 c or colder. larger ponds like mine hold there tempature better. I always aim for 3 inches of ice on my pond. When the water is flowing their is a small open hole here and there.
If your pond is smaller you might find a smaller watt heater somewhere.
I have never lost a fish Thur the winter using this method.
Happy in Canada :)

Ask a Question