Hello everybody, can I use sandstone edging ?

Reaction score
I would appreciate peoples thoughts on the use of sandstone "blocks" as an edging to a pond.
I have been offered some blocks, and I am wondering if they could be placed half in, half out of the water ? Basically, would their use have any adverse effect of the ph of the water, or its quality ?

All thoughts appreciated,

regards

zacaroo

Reaction score
I'd think it depends on their actual composition, but with sedimentary rocks you risk them disintegrating over time, and the sand coming off them could potentially wreck your pump. Sand can really do a number on filter impeller shafts.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used sandstone in arizona to edge my pond. It works great as long as it is not in water continuously, it does start to crumble with time, if exposed to water, i.e. always wet. So yes use the blocks, no do not have them half in and half out of the water.

We have a sandstone patio that is doing fine, the rain does not bother it. I had a few pieces to close to the stream and they crumbled into just fine sand after a year or so.

Ask a Question