Hello everyone!

Reaction score
My name is Richard and I am an addict! I go to sleep every nite thinking about waking up to work on my pond! I started this venture 5 months ago and have built 5 ponds and waterfalls. I know u haven't heard this before but they happen to be the same pond and waterfall!! Spent so much time at the rock yard I now work with them on commission. Look forward to learning and sharing with all of you.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi richard welcome I am new also and have already learned a lot here I live in VA and i have already made a plant ring to protect plants from my fish destroying them .I go to a koi farm in NC to get my fish as they are only 5 or 6 dollars and then he sells what he calls not so pretty for 1 dollar each .Some of those not so pretty have turned out to be the prettiest of all .Now taking care of a nieghbors sick fish and got the info here of what to do otherwise I would be lost .I hope you post pics of your pond I would love to see it .I think pond all the time too it has become a fun hobby or obession or addiction LOL HELLO

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Welcome Rich, I hope you are not putting rocks in the bottom area of your pond.
I have been having problem with water under liner? Mite have small natural spring issue! Let me know if I'm off course, thinking off mortaring 20 lb. Fieldstone in place? The second build of this pond i did egg rock I knew that was a mistake which started the 3rd build! I respect your experience, help before wife puts me in the hole for good! HaHa. No really

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
either a leak or like mine I had a corner of my pond liner that had a fold at the top of the liner where it came over the side and for some reason the water was running under this fold and behind the liner all I had to do was put a large rock on the fold to lay it flat and have not had the problem since .I know this solved my problem never know if you check around the edges you may find the same thing .Hope this helps solved mine I would not have even thought that could happen until someone mentioned it to me and I started to check edges of the pond

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Rich
Can you post some photos of your build? You may not have enough posts yet to be eligible for pictures.
When offering advice, we really need to know a few things that are critical to the advice offered. You have satisfied one of the most important, that is posting your exact location.
Second is seeing the pond we are commenting on.
Your comment on "mortaring 20 lb. Fieldstone" has confused me.
If this is this a liner pond, how does the fieldstone figure into it?
How do you know there is water under the liner?
What problem is it creating?
A spring under it will definetly cause you grief and I cannot imagine a fix for it unless you can cap it, or tap into it, for a natural water supply.

Reaction score
Dave it is EPDM lined. I have built my pond to 90% completion 3 times in last 4 months so I have up sized liner 3times. First time I pulled liner there was a 100 gals of water under it. So I dug 220 ft. of French drains around and out of pond area. That helped but about two feet down in pond wall I see a trickle of water. It is making liner float from side walls. Now that I'm at a point and hoping last time that I can get under the liner and nip this thing! Pond big enough now I'm thinking 2" or 3" bottom drain? All along I was thinking mortar and rock anyway is this wrong Dave? I will try to upload pics. Right now I'm running Savio filter falls w/Savio 1450 pump 1-1/2 flex PVC pipe in addition I have a 250yr old bronze fountain w/a cheap 560gph pump w/ a clamp to slow flow. I will come back to check response from u. I am redesigning waterfall today. Thank you very much Dave

Reaction score
Because of shape most of my folds are rite there. Also where my plumbing is but what bothered my was seeing water trickle out of that Georgia clay 2ft. down side I might be a little paranoid maybe Finnish this thing and see what happens by spring? I have become very good with a shovel not afraid to dig more

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ahh know the shovel things as I dug my pond out and now with the snow my snow shovel has become my best friend as my driveway is 300 ft long I have clay also but not as bad as your clay

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Unless you harness the natural spring, I don't know what to tell you next. A concrete pond is a boat when there is no water in it, so that is out since it has to be empty while curing.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
question since I have been seeing a lot about concrete ponds can you put a liner over the concrete or would the cement eat the liner .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
interesting but with cement you are stuck with that size and shape .Unless you build another one .

Ask a Question