Hello, folks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, folks! My name is Brian and my username has become Wayfarin. I'm new to the forum.

We don't currently have any ponds, but we are planning to install one or two.

We have a red-eared slider turtle along with a few other pets. She's currently living indoors, but we may move our turtle to an outdoor "pond" setup specifically designed for her. We may also add other creatures to her outdoor enclosure.

We had also considered building a fishless pond to attract birds and amphibians. We have many of both in our town in Groveton, NH.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1675117223733.gif
@Wayfarin
Some here have turtles and they can lead you to the right way to build your turtle a pond. They are escape artists so really need to have and enclosure they can't dig or climb out of I hear. Frog, bird etc. ponds are much easier. I have one and I just dug a shallow hole w/shelf on the sides and put in a liner and added rocks to the shelf and on top edge around pond to hide liner and put in a small fountain, added a few plants and put out the welcome sign. Frogs and birds came before I even finished it!

IMG_9738.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Jhn has a very interesting pond that he also keeps several turtles in. The way he did both the liner and the edging to keep them contained is slick.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone have frogs or fish living with their turtles? Do the turtles eat them, or can they live in the same pond?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! I have goldfish in with my sliders inside, they are too quick usually to be caught. The more space the less chance the sliders have. Frogs would be goners inside and avoid the turtle tubs outside.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Wayfarin definitely doable moving it outside but take into account preventing escape and predators of turtles ie birds of prey/raccoons. There are some threads on here of what I did to keep my turtles in the pond area and predators out, that I kind of developed over the years out of necessit.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! I have goldfish in with my sliders inside, they are too quick usually to be caught. The more space the less chance the sliders have. Frogs would be goners inside and avoid the turtle tubs outside.
Do red-eared sliders attack bullfrogs or fish as large as themselves, or small animals or birds that come for a drink?

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Wayfarin definitely doable moving it outside but take into account preventing escape and predators of turtles ie birds of prey/raccoons. There are some threads on here of what I did to keep my turtles in the pond area and predators out, that I kind of developed over the years out of necessit.
Yeah, red-eared sliders cannot close up their shells like box turtles, so they are definitely susceptible to raccoons. The pond that I had considered that we should build is one that is surrounded by four walls, with some kind of netting over it to keep out marauders.
An "above-ground pond" if you will, not something that she could escape from either.
That's why I had mentioned the idea of building two ponds. An above-ground pond designed to keep out animals, and a more wildlife-friendly pond that actually allows birds and wildlife to drink and swim.

Ask a Question