Hello from "a new to the world of fishes" from Birmingham

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to fish keeping and am in the process of building up my knowledge of how best to look after my recently aquired fish.
To be honest i never intended to to have a pond but hubby would not indulge me and let me have a couple of chickens or Snakes, miserable old so and so, so here i am 6 months later with a pond and six goldfish, several Koi, two Sturgeon, and a couple of other fish that i have forgotten the names of.This "hobby" has turned out to be more costly than i had thought it would be, and i can still remember when we used to win a goldfish from the local fair that i would bring home in a plastic bag and beg Mom for a suitable container to put it in only for it to keel over the next day :sad:
Well, fingers crossed things are going well and i am really getting into this fish keeping, they are fasinating creatures, i can spend hours just watching them and there is nothing more relaxing than sitting by the pond with the sound of running water and a large Jack D.
I look forward to chatting to everyone and hope to learn more about keeping my fish healthy.
nannydeb

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomefromgang4.gif
to our group!

It is very relaxing to sit by your pond and just watch them swim. Glad you joined.

Reaction score
welcome
nannydeb

yes it does cost more than one would think when you start adding this and changing that.. but it relaxing to sit and watch and the large JD doesn't hurt either :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
:wave: Welcome! And is Birmingham in the UK?

Tell us a little about your pond, and we all love to see pictures. Yes, sticker shock in ponding is real, but I think [hope] it's only bad in the beginning, start-up stages. The hardest thing for me was telling Hubby how much the liner was going to cost, and explaining to him that, "Yes, Hon, we really will need THAT many rocks!" But all worth it, and he's enjoying the pond almost as much as I am.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome. These great people on this forum may be able to suggest cost cutting ideas for your future changes and there will be changes. You just can't help yourself when seeing all these great ideas here. Many are brilliant ideas that cost very little. Some can give you their opinions on products you may want.

We all have an opinion. Maybe some of them will help you. I hope so.

I feel certain you will be able to add to our discussions with your thought, opinions, and ideas.

Reaction score
Thankyou all so much for the lovely welcome messages, i am so looking forward to getting to know you all and hopefully picking up tips on the best way of taking care of my fish.
Yes, Turtlemommy, Birmingham is in the UK.i live about 5 miles from the main city in a small village.We are around 100 miles from London and are hoping to go there to see the opening of the paralympics if we can get tickets.
As soon as hubby sorts out some photo's for me i will post them, i am not very good at taking pictures, i have limited movement in my hands and the fish refuse to stay still while
i get my hands in the right position :razz:

nannydeb

Ask a Question