Hello from Ajax, Ontario

Reaction score
Hello everyone! So glad I found this place!

Like some others it seems, we inherited a pond when we bought our house almost 3 years ago. It's roughly 5'x8' and about 24" deep.

Since it was late summer when we moved in, we didn't do much with the pond other than empty it and give it a good scrubbing. It was just plain old concrete painted blue that was flaking off.

The next spring we filled it, got some plants, and a few feeder goldfish from the pet store. I also installed a liner, and built up the current rocks to make a waterfall. Something got at the fish at some point, I think the cat who lived under the shed had a feast. She moved out this spring though, not sure why. Maybe because there were no more fish.

Going on the current year, we managed to save a few plants from last year, and got a lot of new ones, new goldfish, and a couple shubunkin (impulse purchase at the nursery).

It's going fairly well, but I think I've caught the bug, and looking to make a bog filter above the waterfall to keep things nice and clean. Next year I already got the go ahead to expand the pond. I'll also be investing in good equipment instead of stumbling around like we have for the past two years trying different things.

I can't find any good pictures, I'll take a few tomorrow.

Reaction score
Welcome!

Looking forward to the pictures! Yes, we all have the bug! I started my first pond 6 months ago and already added two more tiny water gardens.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcome_6.gif
to our group!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome to the pondaholics club and good luck with your new plans for the pond. It sounds like you need a deep area for the fish to hide if that nasty cat comes around again!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome and good luck with the new bog and pond expansion. I will keep an eye for those pictures

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the welcomes!

Here's some pictures. It's not much, but it's what we have at the moment.

A couple from when we first bought the house. No fish, and there were glass blocks floating around in it:

old1_800x533.JPG

old2_800x533.JPG

Those bushes HAD to go. I can't stand them to begin with, and they were out of control from not being maintained.

What we're working with right now:
new1_800x450.jpg

new2_800x450.jpg

new3_800x450.jpg

The bog filter is going where the lighthouse is and hopefully has enough umph to feed the waterfall. Don't ask what that wall is doing. Right now we have ivy growing on the other side because wifey loves the ivy at Wrigley Field. Removing that is part of the pond expansion project.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Love the patio leading up to your pond. Ponding is a work in progress. You'll love your bog.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A lot of work but in the end worth it .i remember when you bought a house there was always a pride of ownership and people took care of there homes and landscaping and now with the economy they let everything go .But you are bringing it back

Reaction score
I built a small bog filter today to see how they work. Had a second pump and hose kicking around, so needed to buy some PVC fittings to make it all happen. Since moving to Canada, I've never had to buy PVC until the other day, and it's a pain in the neck to find in anything smaller than 2".

Filled it up with pea gravel, and added 4 plants. Have a very tiny leak at the bulkhead fitting (male & female conduit fittings screwed together -- cheaper than the $25/each they want at the nursery), but that's a job for tomorrow.

Ask a Question