Hello from Alabama

DNR

DNR
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
After visiting a business nearby us the last 4 yrs that has Koi, we decided to put a small pond off our patio. We're still in the process and hope to have water in tomorrow. We have soooooo much to learn and look forward to all your knowledge.
DNR

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Welcome to GPF!:) Some advise if I can. Get the best pump for you needs up front(low wattage/high volume) as well as a good DIY biofilter(doc style). You will be glad you did.:fish:

DNR

DNR
Reaction score
Thank you so much. The business that has the Koi is called " Across the Pond " and yes, we feel very confident with the equipment we purchased. Do you have a good book on Koi that you reccomend?

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I have heard of a so called bible of koi(its not called that) that covers everything but is quite pricey@$200. Can't remember the name but I read about it when I started out. Most of what you need to know you can find here at GPF. Its just harder to get the computer into the bathroom.:)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard, Glad to have you join GPF. I think the Koi Book Koidaddy is talking about is Koi Kichi by Peter Waddington, GREAT BOOK! Not cheap but very good!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dnr, be careful about getting koi, your pond is on the small size for them.

I don't have koi, but have seen many posts about the amount of water and filtration they need.

and welcome!

welcomewagon-15.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi DNR, Welcome to the forum. My pond is about the same size as what you are building and I have stayed with goldfish. I would recommend you go at least 1000-1500 gallons if you want to keep Koi. Good luck with your pond!

Ask a Question