Hello from Arkansas

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just doing my intro...
I put in a 20ft round, just under 4ft deep in the middle, pond this year (April 2018) and it's doing nicely. With the drop off levels, I think the pond is around 4k gallons. Just now (late May 2018) starting to get a bit of algae growth on the liner, rocks and around some plant roots. Nitrates are a bit high so I figure the algae is doing its job to reduce that 40ppm number. I have 4 koi (2 large, 1 med and 1 small) and 4 small goldfish. I had to move the goldfish and small koi from the other smaller pond after a hole developed :( I'll just use it for plant growth this year i think, or maybe put small fish in it after the repairs are done.
I had my small pond going for a couple years, but had to close it down for a couple years and just got it up again this year until the liner hole came around. So i'm just getting back into the hobby. I have done this all myself and it's not the most professionally looking setup, but it's doing the job for a relaxing spot to sit outside.
My questions/concerns will eventually be about where to get bigger rocks, how many to have on the line, water quality, amount of direct sun (pretty much direct all day in its location, so i got a 40% shade covering to put a few feet above the pond), and just general concerns about keeping the fish happy.
I've had lots of tadpoles and frogs in and around the pond and everybody seems happy, so I think I'm doing a good job, but would love to read more from people that have been doing this for a lot longer than me.
Here are some pics of the ponds, plants and a close up of algae on a rock and on the liner. The pictures may not show the water as clear as it is, but I'm actually able to see the koi at 3 and a half ft down, just not with a camera :)

Attachments

• Small Pond.JPG
    Small Pond.JPG
    283 KB · Views: 204
  • BIg Pond (1).JPG
    BIg Pond (1).JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 160
  • BIg Pond (2).JPG
    BIg Pond (2).JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 167
  • BIg Pond (3).JPG
    BIg Pond (3).JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 161
  • BIg Pond (4).JPG
    BIg Pond (4).JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 167
  • BIg Pond (5).JPG
    BIg Pond (5).JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 178
  • BIg Pond (7).JPG
    BIg Pond (7).JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 183
  • BIg Pond (8).JPG
    BIg Pond (8).JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 196
  • Big Pond.JPG
    Big Pond.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 204
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
smwel.gif

Lovely ponds! ...you're doing a great job! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome @freqlink your ponds look nice and don't worry if they're not exactly what you envisioned when you set out. Most of us have tweaked our ponds over the years to get them just right....then we tweak some more just for fun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
As someone who lived in AR for years, you’ve got a nice place! I lived up in Harrison and the just outside Fayetteville in Farmington, but now live in Oklahoma. You’ve got a much better chance of getting nice rocks than I do here. If you’re looking for more, go drive dirt roads, go down to Hotsprings and gather Quartz, you can find all kinds of pretty rocks just walking down a road.

Ask a Question