Hello from Austria

Reaction score
Hi,

So, a bit about myself. I've originally from the UK, but have been living in Austria, Graz to be specific, for the last 6 years.

3 years ago i bought a house here, and decided straight away that i wanted to build a pond, with a decked area next to it. The pond was finished in summer 2007 - half of the pond is 1m deep, and the other 0.5m deep. A picture of the pond and deck should be attached to this post.

To start off with a bought 3 goldfish - two orange, and one tricolured (mostly white, with black and red spots).

I have to admit that i was/still am a complete newbie, and i've made a lot of mistakes, but that is part of the reason i joined this forum, and also part of the fun in setting up the pond.

The pump/filter i bought at first was completely inadequate for the volume of water, 5000 litres, in this pond, and was quickly replaced with a UV biofilter and stronger pump, plus lots of plants.

This arrangement worked well for a while, but then in summer 2008 we had a surprise - baby fish!

Unfortunately there are no predators in this pond, and i've only been able to give away a few fish so far, so to date i have 5 large fish (approx. 30cm long) and 160 small fish (approx. 5cm long).

In total this is approx. 1m length of fish. In theory the pond can support this, but i am having massive problems now with algae and green water.

I'm planning on upgrading the pump and filter arrangement, and i'm also going to add a waterfall and wetlands area. This is my project for this year.

I'd appreciate any insights from the members here. I have *a lot* to learn still, but it's worth it to see all the fish swimming around when i'm sat out on the deck of an evening drinking a beer! :D

cheers,

Andy.

Attachments

• pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 292
Reaction score
Very nice pond.Like how it goes under the deck :D
I also have gold fish,and a few years ago they also had baby fish.5 of them grew-up to large fish :D
How are you planning on creating the wetlands?

Reaction score
Hi Smirf,

Thanks, the pond goes about 30cm under the deck, so there's quite a bit of shade for the fish when it's really sunny.

That pic was taken last year, and since then i've added a flower bed on the other side of the pond - where the grass is. I'm planning on ripping that up, having the waterfall in the corner, where the fence comes around, which will then feed into the wetlands area, and then back into the pond by the deck. This is going to mean playing with levels and fences etc quite a bit, but i think it will be worth it.

How many fish have you got now?

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Oh... looks like I replied in your other thread and suggested exactly what you have planned! LOL

Well then... get to it! And please post pictures!

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the comments and the warm welcome guys.

I've already received more suggestions and info in just one day than i've found in weeks of Internet searching. Very much appreciated.

cheers,

Andy.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum...
I can see a waterfall built around a filter.

Ask a Question