Hello from Boston

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I dug this out many years ago when the paint on the shed was still fresh. :LOL: About 5x5 18 in. deep in the center. The waterlily's are in pots and come back every year.
Never had any fish until I added a dozen goldfish about a month ago. Nothing fancy Just feeders tho 2 are all black
I think a neighbors cat got a couple of them so I may have to get a dog if I want to keep fish. :dunno:
Spitter goes 24/7 and the waterfall i can control with a remote from inside the house.
I have a home lined up for them in a school when the winter comes.
I also have a friend giving me an aquarium canister filter, Aquatop cf-400uv.
Do you think this will work with a pond? It will sit a few inches above water level and I'll build a cover for it to protect it from the rain.
What do you all think?
IMAG0043.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It looks good and the gnomes should be doing a better job protecting them .Like that fresh paint hope you repainted since LOL

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the filter should help, it may not be enough for the size of the pond. Check you water tests, to make sure the water doesn't sour on you.

Like your pond, it is nice.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
chawelan.gif
skynyed
I started w/ 12 feeders also about 10yrs ago. Lots of babies later........who knows how many are in there now? How many gallons is that friends filter rated for?

Reaction score
Thanks everyone
The gnome in the middle is a spitter I got from lowes. Only available in certain states and they wouldn't ship to me so I had someone in calif. buy it and mail it to me.
Ive moved him to where the frog spitter is and put the frog on the right under the Hosta plant. The turtle is actually my sprinkler.
The filter is rated for a 125 gal. tank n pumps 370 gal/hr.
http://truaqua.com/a...r-cf-400uv.html
Ive got around 80 gal. I think. Ive done partial water changes(20 gal at a time) using a shop-vac to get debris from the bottom and refilling with tap water that has been sitting in a barrel for 2 weeks. I test for ammonia weekly n its always been very little. Ive also used beckett water clairfier with limited success.
I'm really starting to like this so future plans are to go deeper n wider.
After I repaint the shed. :ugh:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Your pond is really nice looking and love the plants also. Since you have the free filter and it's rated for more volume than your pond and if you can really, safely keep it out of the weather (you won't be able to run it during the winter freeze I don't believe) then give it a try and see how it goes. If you don't like the way it cleans then build yourself a small filter from the DIY threads here on this forum. Good thing you have plans to build a bigger pond cuz those 12 goldfish are gonna outgrow the pond you have now in not so long of a time and they are pooping machines big time, lol!

Reaction score
Well I received a brand new filter in the mail today along with a card saying :happybday:
According to the instructions I'm suppose to put a sponge filter in the bottom tray covered by the included cotton pad , another pad with the carbon on top for the middle tray and bio-balls on top of the 3rd pad in the top tray. Guess what? No sponge filter. I thought I read somewhere here that I could use some poly-fill or something like that from walmart
Can anyone help me out here?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Funny it didn't come w/ the sponge. You could go to a pet store and get a replacement sponge for it or wal-mart etc. Hard to say what you could use in it w/o seeing the actual spot the sponge was supposed to fit in. Seems like if you use the poly-fill stuff the other stuff on top of it will flatten it down too much. The sponge is stiffer that goes in there and the stuff on top would not squish it down. Take the filter part in w/ you and talk to the store guys and see what they can come up with. I suppose you could stick a firm kind of sponge material in there as long as it was the firmer kind w/ lots of holes in it and no chemical additives. You could cut it to the size you need. Here's one of my old aquarium filter sponges:

Attachments

• IMG_1941.JPG
    IMG_1941.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 242
Reaction score
Thanks There is 3 separate baskets that sit on top of each other 8x8 w/rounded corners 3 inch deep so squishing shouldn't be a problem
I assume this is the mechanical part of the filter process (trapping large debris) Forgive my ignorance :unsure:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks There is 3 separate baskets that sit on top of each other 8x8 w/rounded corners 3 inch deep so squishing shouldn't be a problem
I assume this is the mechanical part of the filter process (trapping large debris) Forgive my ignorance :unsure:

that sounds like my fish tank filter, it had a sponge compartment, one compartment for little blue plastic things and one for charcoal, worked great. The sponge you will need to keep a eye on until you see how quickly it gets gunked up to get a feel for cleaning it. My tank sponge would turn brown and slimy, time to clean lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If squishing isn't a problem then I think you could put the white floss stuff in there but it will prolly gunk up faster than a sponge but for now you can do the floss I think. See the sponge is sturdier and easier to clean and you can use it over and over again. You can try to use the floss over and over but will wear out quicker. Anybody else got an idea what to use?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Could cut some filter material, that blue stuff form lowes, make some layers with it.

Ask a Question