Hello from Burbank, CA

Reaction score
I just found this forum while researching equipment for my 1st pond/waterfall. I have longed for a Koi pond and soothing waterfall at our home for the past 25 years, and now it is now becoming a reality.

I have just completed digging out the 2500 gallon pond and formed a 10ft head height x 22 ft long 4-6 step waterfall/stream out of the 45 degree hillside above the pond.(Confession: Yes with hired labor help, but I did the sweat equity thing along with the day laborers). I was amazed at how much dirt we removed, and how it EXPANDED! It went up to the top of my yard and I am rototilling it in with mulch and compost to make a super perennial, fruit tree, and vegetable garden. Our lot is a quarter of an acre so we have ample room to do all of these activities.

I am a 53 year old psychotherapist living in the foothills of Burbank, and have always enjoyed having aquariums, pets, outdoor activity, and an extensive involvment with water. This is a natural complilation of many of my interests. I am so excited to be realizing this long held goal. I work a 12 hour graveyard shift on variable nights doing psychiatric evaluations in emergency rooms, so I have a lot of time in the daylight hours to work and enjoy my garden.

Now I am just struggling in figuring out what equipment to purchase, buying some things off of craigslist, and trying to do ample research without trying to get. I have a local Pond company Pacific Outdoor of Sunland who have quoted me about $2000 for the 45 mil liner, underlayment, 2"flex tubing, check valve, 3PM Tsurumi 3000 GPH pump, Auto fill valve, Foam Gun kit w/3 cans of black foam, a Aquascape 2500 signature series biofalls 2500 filter, and a SK700Pro Skimmer. I'm getting a headache figuring out if this is a good deal, good equipment, etc. They say that this is the "top of the line pro equipment", but I wouldn't know if it was or not. Any feedback would be great.

Thanks, Andy

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
welcome to the forum Andy....if you can buy parts separate...and build your own filter ...you can and would have a better set up...

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome.

So what other brands/parts would you recommend? What is a good company to go through?

Is there a good blueprint or "how to" on building an effective filter? What pump would you recommend?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Sorry if I didn't get the entire gest of your post. Since you have a lot of daylight time, I am going to assume you want to do most of this yourself.

EPDM liner is $10.50 a foot in 15' widths at Home Depot. My 3200 GPH pump from Harbor freight was $80 on sale. My 55 gallon Bio filter cost me about $100 to build. I paid a laborer to help me dig the hole and his cost was $80.00to help with the dig, plus another $70 to help finish it.

You can spend thousands of dollars having it built and if they are reputable, it may come out nice. Or, you can do it yourself and know it is right if you do your homework.

I don't have a skimmer, bottom drain, UV filter and my ponds are clear year round. A good pump to the Bio filter and another for general circulation is all that is really needed.

The other stuff is fluff and has little value if the basics are done right.

Your Bio filter should feed a waterfall to get areation.

Ask a Question