Hello from Cape Coral, FL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Good morning, everyone!

Happy to find this site! I've had my koi pond less than a year and am enjoying my 10 new pets -- they love nibbling out of my hand! It started out as a memorial garden in memory of my husband . . . and grew into so much more! Those are all orchids along the wall.

I've just had the pond cleaned out because I had a beautiful cobalt blue fountain in the middle of the pond that kept getting covered with black algae. It looked awful I had that removed and put in a small umbrella type fountain. The black algae was also getting all over the waterfall and the bottom of the pond -- awful looking. Luckily, it wasn't the stringy kind which I understand is not good to have. C leaned the pond yesterday and this morning I've got frog eggs around my two papyrus plants. I guess keeping up with a koi pond will involve some work! ;)

Anyway, glad to be on this site and hope to learn from all of you! Have a great day!
Monika
IMG_0155.jpg
IMG_0152.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sorry to hear about your hubby and welcome to the sight .Koi are great but they do get very large .Mine are over 2 feet long and only a couple of inch's long back in 2005 .For your waterfall rocks yo can spray a little peroxide on them but good muck safeguards the fish from bad stuff and they love to eat it .Have you tested your water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Sorry to hear about your hubby and welcome to the sight .Koi are great but they do get very large .Mine are over 2 feet long and only a couple of inch's long back in 2005 .For your waterfall rocks yo can spray a little peroxide on them but good muck safeguards the fish from bad stuff and they love to eat it .Have you tested your water
Thanks for the welcome! I have some GreenClean that I sprinkle on the waterfall, let it sit for an hour, than hose if off -- works great. Do you know if koi eat frog eggs?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
peroxide is safer and cheap and a uv will help a lot as long as the water flows into them slow .I bought an 18 watt one for my uv and love it .I got it off ebay 30 dollars with 3 extra bulbs . have had it now for 3 years but only run it summer here .

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Monika, welcome aboard - what a lovely pond that is, a very fitting tribute! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How wonderful of you to start a garden in your husband's memory!
Beautiful garden and beautiful pond, I'm glad you joined!
Welcome to the group! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
peroxide is safer and cheap and a uv will help a lot as long as the water flows into them slow .I bought an 18 watt one for my uv and love it .I got it off ebay 30 dollars with 3 extra bulbs . have had it now for 3 years but only run it summer here .
The UV was installed with the pond. I also have a sail over the pond to keep some of the sun off -- it's very warm in SW Florida! I may have to give the peroxide a try also. Thanks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Been warmer her than normal and humidity has been a lot higher here also .Lots of rain in the spring to fill the well .But worried what winter is going to be like .My aunt lived in Florida but sad to say she passed away last year .I am from the north so don't think I could take year round warmth .Prefer a little snow as long as it melts fast .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Been warmer her than normal and humidity has been a lot higher here also .Lots of rain in the spring to fill the well .But worried what winter is going to be like .My aunt lived in Florida but sad to say she passed away last year .I am from the north so don't think I could take year round warmth .Prefer a little snow as long as it melts fast .
Sorry about your Aunt! No cold for me! We used to live in Maryland, but when I joined the Foreign Service (State Dept.), my postings were all in warm weather climates and that's what I like. I have my A/C set at 78 and sometimes I have to put a wrap around me when I watch TV at night! LOL!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Oh geeze mine is set at 77 here and people say to me that my house is too warm ,I don't want to freeze either .In the winter heat pump is set high for heat .I retired here from NJ and Aunt Johanne retired there from NJ also with her hubby Tony but he passed away 6 years ago and she decided to stay and downsize .Had to get out of NJ to expensive to live there .

Ask a Question