Hello from central Fl.

Reaction score
My name is Amanda and I am 25, I am very interested in starting my first garden project, the first part being an 8x4x3(?) butterfly koi above ground pond. I have a 30x30 foot area in my back yard that is perfect for a pretty little garden and sitting area, including the koi pond, the only issue, and why I am here is that I haven't the first clue about building this thing. lol I have an idea of what I want, but not what materials and tools I will need. I am looking forward to learning all I can from this forum and its members.
:wave:

(please forgive any typos at the time, my laptop is trying to die on me this week.)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome22bug.gif
Amanda

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome but not sure you would want koi for your first pond .They are a lot more work and harder to take care of .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomefrogcar.gif

Glad you joined!

8x4x3 is only around 720 gallons, not really big enough for koi unless you have some very good filtration and water movement. I would stick with shubunkins and goldfish, they can be really pretty and a lot easier to care for.

Reaction score
welcome
FlAussieMom

i would agree with recommendation of larger if you really want koi, or that size if you know you can stay under say 3 koi as they grow larger and produce more waste than goldfish.. or as addy mentioned have really good filtration and surface water movement to keep more than that.. it will be fine when they are small but as they grow and perhaps reproduce you're likely to run into problems... read up as much as you can on the care of koi on this forum and other sites/blogs on the internet to make sure what you want to do and be able to plan and modify if you have to

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome!

I have been doing a lot of reading on them and still haveore to do. I also figured that I can make the pond a bit bigger. I have mapped out an area where I can fit a 12x8x4 foot pond if I dig down a little bit. I and not sure how many gallons it will hold though.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The deeper you go the cooler the water will be for the fish and the better for them so predators can't get them .

Ask a Question