Hello from Central Oregon

Reaction score
Hi All,
I look forward to visiting an active forum and this looks like the place.

I live in Central Oregon at 3500' ASL where spring is just beginning to bloom. I have concerns about my younger fish but will post in another thread.

I designed a dual stream pond that is 15' X 15' and 41/2 feet deep at it's deepest. The builder estimated the pond at 2500 gallons and I have a 10,000gph pump feeding the falls which then seperates into the two streams. The entire water feature was constructed from 25 tons of hand selected "Klamath Mossy Rock" with the deepest part of the pool completely lined with medium boulders to allow for fish hiding spots. This deepest pool is probably only 4' X 4' but there is plenty of room for the Koi and they appear to have survived the extreme winter with -20F temperatures.

I currently have three small 6" koi and three 14" adoptees I acquired from a friend. The pond has developed it's own ecosystem with snails, two species of frogs, caddis flies and other assorted water bugs and beetles.

That's about it and I'll post some pics once everything greens up around pond

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Bokchoy, welcome to the forums :(. I'm looking forward to seeing those pics!

Reaction score
Daytongirl said:
Welome aboard! I'm a newbie too and also in Oregon, Willamette Valley. This has been a great forum full of info but be careful, it's very addicting......

Hi, I know where Dayton is since I grew up in Eugene. Now located east of Prineville on the way to the Ochoco Mountains. Your weather is much more conducive to fishies and flowers me thinks.

Thanks to all for the welcome!

Ask a Question