Hello from Clinton, TN

Reaction score
Name is Jason and recently bought a house that came with a man made koi pond.

Funny thing is right after the closing the previous owner tells me "by the way the pond has a leak and the pump is a small jacuzzi pump"

So I have come to learn what size pump I need, and the best way to drain, and find the leak.

The so called water fall just trickles a tiny amount of water.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 272
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 250
Reaction score
Hi.

Pump size is probably up to you. The pond seems fine with what sounds like not much water movement. Most ponds don't actually need any pump, but I think they sure make life easier. I'll bet the pump you have now uses a lot of electric. For sure there's something seriously wrong if that pump is putting out a trickle. The subject of pumps is vast. There are people who say stuff like a pump should turn over a pond once an hour. So if your pond is 1000 gal they'd say you'd need a 1000 GPH (gallons per hour) pump. Some people say more, some less. But that's totally just a made up number, but it's easy to understand and not bad. Google "pond volume calculator" to find the size of your pond.

For tracking down a leak I start with the falls/stream. Most of the time that's the source. You bypass the falls or just shut off the falls and wait a few days to see if the leak stopped. If it's in the falls you can root around trying to fine the leak, but most often you won't. It's a tricky thing, takes some experience. Normally the falls just has to be rebuilt. Less effort than it sounds, but at least a weekend.

If in the pond I check the pond edge next to see if an area has settled.

Next the waterline will drop to the leak, so it will be at the waterline, assuming you check often and evaporation doesn't draw down past the leak. You check the waterline. With a bare liner, which you seem to have on the sides, you can sometimes see a slight damp bump on the liner that pops up at the waterline. That will be the leak.

Some people say to drip milk into the water and the mild will be drawn to the leak. Sounds good, doesn't work. It would have to be a huge leak for that to work and you could just follow the wet area.

Are those huge rocks I see in the pond?

Reaction score
Thank you for the response, and yes those are huge rocks. :(

I'll try to figure out how many gallons it is first and then make a decision on what type of pump to get. The wife loves the water fall and wants it to be a little bit more active.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
smileywelcome687.gif
to our group! Jason

I think that is called after the fact disclosure! lol, sort of like btw the car you just bought does not run well.

Agree with wb check you waterfall for the leak, the jacuzzi pump is probably not the most efficient pump you can use for a pond.

If it turns out to be the waterfall, when you rebuild it make sure you have liner below the waterfall rocks to direct any water back into the pond.

Nice looking pond

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and looks like that other owner was being a tad sneaky .I guess he did not care just wanted to sell .There is probably a lot of leaves in the bottom you may have to net up as you don't want to get a new pump and have all those leaves plug it up and burn it out .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome10.gif
Jason
Hope you can find that darn leak. They can be a pita I've heard. So far haven't had the problem and hope I never do!
Does it drain down much?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It drains slowly but does stop quarter way down.

So quarter way down there is a hole somewhere............. try inspecting very carefully the liner where it stops draining, you might find a small hole at the water line. Not sure if you can remove the rocks around the top and pull the liner forward to try and find where it is the wettest. That would let you at least let you know the area of the leak.

Reaction score
So quarter way down there is a hole somewhere............. try inspecting very carefully the liner where it stops draining, you might find a small hole at the water line. Not sure if you can remove the rocks around the top and pull the liner forward to try and find where it is the wettest. That would let you at least let you know the area of the leak.

I'll try that this weekend. Thanks!

Ask a Question