Hello From England

Reaction score
Thanks ididntdoit i am ging to measure up tomorrow and then calculate roughly how much water my pond is going to hold.

Julia

My pond w/ tong,buyog,snow,skai,bubbles&ela
Reaction score
Hello STu74! Welcome to the forum. I actually have that situation now. I started with 11 3-inch long kois. Now they're all 1.5 feet long. So I made a 2000 gallon pond last year. Then a friend made me adopt 10 more 3-in long kois coz his family is moving out of the country! I suppose I should let go of some. But which ones? I feel theyre family now. Ive been taking care of them all their lives! huhu.

Reaction score
Hi Julia. How long did it take for your Koi to grow from 3" to 1.5 ft?
I do know some fish will grow quicker and bigger than others.I live in a colder country than yours so mine may grow a little bit slower.

Julia

Reaction score
4.5 long years of feeding! LOL. I started a pond in 2008. I feed twice a day with koi food. Sometimes earthworms I see from the garden I cut to pieces. There's also lettuce. When they were younger, I fed them with Sera grow food for a while. When they started getting bigger with bigger appetite, I found that too expensive. Now Im trying to grow worms so I can give them nice protein.

Reaction score
I think i would probably get very attached to the koi in 4.5 years i really wouldnt want to give them away.You are fortunate to be able to increase your pond size to keep your fish happy.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My koi after 8 years are over 2 feet long and I only feed them 2 or 3 times a week .

Julia

Reaction score
Fortunately Stu, I transferred residence last year and I made sure I have the space for the pond (although not as big as those you see here in the forum!). Had a friend help me transport all 11 kois. It was stressful but fun. Hmm.

Hello Sissy I envy you. I actually hoped to be able to reduce feeding to once a day now that the pond is bigger and they have more of the algae to keep them busy.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all your warm welcomes.
I go on holiday in a few days so my pond plans are going on hold until i come back.
So far i have made the decision that i will still increase my pond size but i wont be putting any koi in the pond.As much as i would love to keep a few koi i just dont think it would be fair on the fish if i cant give them 100% of what they need to be fit and healthy.I cant get the size of pond they would require.
Atleast when the pond is bigger my goldfish will have even more space to swim around.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Have a nice holiday Stu and we'll see you and your digging when you return all rested and ready to work those muscles :goodnight:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
have a great holiday, your gf will be happy

Ask a Question