Hello from Houston

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello. I have just started a 30 gallon container garden and eventually want to put some fish in there. Not having too much luck at the moment with my plants!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks! Since it gets warm where I live, I have it in the shade....what fish would you recommend? Really haven't started the process of cycling...just concentrating on getting my plants to thrive. I do have the filter and an air stone going.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome, from Louisiana! Can you post some pictures for us? You said you’re not having much luck with your plants....... What do you have planted so far? A small goldfish (maybe 2) would be enough for this small volume of water. And maybe having a fish in the water might help with the plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
this isn't a great pic, but I have a java fern (doing pretty good) parrot feather (not doing so good!) lizard tail (has brown spots on leaves) and I think the floating Christmas tree like plant is the Hornwort and it is doing great :) And I almost forgot, something is chewing up my water lettuce!

Attachments

• pond plants.jpg
    pond plants.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 160
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We come, looks like your doing great, I'm sure you will also receive good advice from the people here.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome. With the size of the pond just put in fan tails. They stay on the small side. Two at the most.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome! Agree with all the comments above. If you get fish don't overfeed. Probably a little a few times a week and let them eat algae otherwise the fish waste will hurt them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks Addy! I'm concerned two fantail goldfish will be too messy...what do you think??

Ask a Question