hello from Illinois

Reaction score
Hi all! I am obviously new to the forum. Just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Sean and I am a freshman at lakeland commu it college studying English. As for why I joined I am a member of a fish forum called fishlore (best aquatic forum I know) and recently got a red ear slider from a LFS (local fish shop) so it was finally to push to start a pond myself in the backyard! The pond will be between 500-1,000g and large enough to accomidate the RES and 2 common plecos (one plecos is from Virginia and the other from Tennessee owners of both don't have the money for upgrades so I will be shipping the. To me when the ponds built)

I am a total noob with anything DIY and as much as i love my fish forum they weren't overly helpful with pond advice, or at least getting back fast enough.... thanks and i hope I fall in love with this forum as i have fishlore!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and glad too see that younger people are interested in a calming hobby .Remember stay in your budget and stick to it as you can always make changes later to upgrade it and besides that you always change something anyways .Ask all you want because we love to help and see you and your pond grow .

Reaction score
Yeah I know to stay within budget ;) if I have learned anything so it is that lol. I actually love fish keeping I have a 29g a 26 bowfront, a 10g betta biotope and two 2.5g one houses red cherry shrimp and the other I breed MTS, pond snails and ramshorn snails! So yes aquatics of all kinds are peaceful!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow you have a lot to tend too .So your learning curve is easy .It will be real simple for you to use some of that info for your pond .I know nothing about turtle keeping except for the wild ones I get and had snails that I bought but koi just ate them but do have wild snails

Reaction score
Yeah we have always owned a fish tank no matter where we lived so i know just about everything to care for them but i though a pond would be more difficult? How do you test the water, would using an API Master Test kit do the same thing? I know I have to cycle the pond for the incoming plecos, clams, and mosquito fish/rosy minnows...

As for your pics I think your snail is an acute pond snail, and I actually have a wild eastern box turtle (your 2nd pic) she was found with an ear infection.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I get the turtles all the time because down the hill and across the road there is a creek ,but that one my son found 8 years ago on our property and used permanent marker to put our phone number on him and every time some one found him they would call or return him to us .I finally buffed the shell to get the number off this past summer .I use just the liquid test kits and 2 filters and 2 pumps and use the dreaded lava rock in my filters ,but it works for me and do not have to clean the filters because I grow plants in them .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Oh and api test kit also and it has been good for me .At first tested a lot and after I got my pond more balanced it helped .I use bags of crushed oyster shells to keep the ph stable

Reaction score
Hi Monkeypie, I live in Illinois also so if you have any pond questions that are area related(freezing, drought, etc) or actually any pond related questions--if I can help I will--just message me on here or email me at (e-mail address removed) And I will try to help, Tim

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
winterwelcome-1.gif
Sean
It will be fun watching you raise and take care of your turtles in this new pond you are about to undertake
xmassmiley16.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
trainwelcome.gif

To our group! Fish ponds are great unless you get fish like these.......................
fish35.gif

Reaction score
Hi Monkeypie, I live in Illinois also so if you have any pond questions that are area related(freezing, drought, etc) or actually any pond related questions--if I can help I will--just message me on here or email me at (e-mail address removed) And I will try to help, Tim
Hey I have a few friends in Vandelia you're not to far from me lol. And I will be sure to message you. Right now i am trying to learn anything I can about caring for a pond as the people i live with said it is my baby they won't help lol.
winterwelcome-1.gif
Sean
It will be fun watching you raise and take care of your turtles in this new pond you are about to undertake
xmassmiley16.gif
You only say that because it won't be you digging ;)
Welcome Sean!! :wave:
Ponds really aren't toooooo far off from aquariums. You'll just need to find fish that will over winter in the pond, or bring them inside. I think you'll do fine :)
They aren't huh... well I guess that should be great news then, kinda makes me more excited to get started lol
trainwelcome.gif

To our group! Fish ponds are great unless you get fish like these.......................
fish35.gif
Hey even those fish just Ned a little love too... ;)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ha Ha Sean so when do you start digging? I think you should get started now so we can all watch you from our warm cushy couches by the fire .....................it's not that cold yet there IMHO
xmassmiley20.gif

Ask a Question