Hello from Iowa

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Very happy to finally find a group for pond lovers like myself. Well after months of dreaming and planning, a wild idea of mine finally came true this past spring. We started out with a 150 gallon performed pond liner. I loved it but it just wasn't what I dreamed of. It wasn't as big as I thought it would be and I just wasn't happy with it. It lasted 3 days before we decided it had to go. We got a 14x14 foot pond liner and started digging. Took us a whole day to dig the hole bigger but it was worth it. Our pond ended up being 10x11 and about 2 feet deep. Has a waterfall lined with river boulders, all sorts of river rock around the pond, underwater lights, all sorts of koi, gold fish and one red earred slidder turtle. It has been a experience building our pond, but I love it.

Attachments

• IMAG0029.jpg
    IMAG0029.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 374
  • IMAG0025.jpg
    IMAG0025.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 375
  • IMAG0030.jpg
    IMAG0030.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 345

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

Welcome to our group! Beautiful pond you have built there. What kind of underwater lights did you get?, do they work well? We are thinking of getting some.

That sounds like around 1400 gallons. Your koi might out grow you pond.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Welcome!! As a fellow Iowa native... I see more digging in your near future :) 2 feet deep isnt deep enough for our winters, do you plan on bringing the fish inside?

Mine was about 2 1/2 feet deep when I built it, and after practically having to drain it to catch all the fish in there to bring them inside, I decided it was going to have to go deeper the next spring.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and thats a nice pond and love your fat owl and glad your dream came true and hope you love every minute of it .I hope you enjoy our little pond group here and that you can post more pics too

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
fishwelcome.gif
Brandonsdad02
You have such a nice pond and fishies. The owl is cool and I think I see a frog on a rock w/ big eyeballs staring at me too :D

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Thank you. The lights are I think malibu brand that we got at Menards. They work great and they come with different colored filters you can pit on. We are planning ob leaving the pump running all winter with a few pond heaters . We have a bubbler going now and a 300 watt stick heater right now. We sold our fish tank because we put everything we had in the pond. I know as long as I can keep the skimmer box free of ice this winter I think the depth will be ok but I'm not sure. The koi have had at least one set of babies this year, the toads and frogs have had 2 sets of babies and I'm not sure about the goldfish. What does everyone do with there pond plants in the winter. We have several that come back every year.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you. The lights are I think malibu brand that we got at Menards. They work great and they come with different colored filters you can pit on. We are planning ob leaving the pump running all winter with a few pond heaters . We have a bubbler going now and a 300 watt stick heater right now. We sold our fish tank because we put everything we had in the pond. I know as long as I can keep the skimmer box free of ice this winter I think the depth will be ok but I'm not sure. The koi have had at least one set of babies this year, the toads and frogs have had 2 sets of babies and I'm not sure about the goldfish. What does everyone do with there pond plants in the winter. We have several that come back every year.
Most of the pond plants need to be put deep enough they don't freeze. My bog plants just stay in the bog.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was just looking at the home depot ad at led undercabinet lights that can go under water too and for the money they are not bad

Ask a Question