Hello from Los Angeles, California

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

So glad I was able to find this site. I bought a house a little over a year ago, and have been doing minor landscaping when I have time. As I also have been learning to be a father, I haven't had much time. Now that most of my other smaller easier projects have been done, I have decided to tackle this pond/waterfall that I have so that my daughter can enjoy now that she is walking and exploring outside to look at things.

The pond is empty and the pump has been removed. I have been thinking about replacing the pump, and returning the pond to glory, but I have on fear of attempting this.

There is a conduit from the bottom of the pump that runs to a power switch inside the house. Simple enough to figure that you run the power cable through the conduit. My fear is that the galvanized piping used as conduit sticks out about 3 to 4 inches from the pond floor, so i am unsure how to run the electrical through, and seal the pipe to protect water from getting into the conduit. Also, I believe there is some residual water in the conduit now, so I may have to use and air compressor to blow the water out as well.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Kenny

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
fishwelcome6.gif
Kenny

Glad you found us. Learning to be a parent is a life long project..............my kids are grown and I'm still learning :twisted: Ponds are wonderful to have and share w/ your little daughter, just make sure it is safe around it for her so she can't accidentally fall in. Maybe a little fence around the area of the pond. She will love being near it and seeing and feeding the fish and if you teach her how to care for it as she grows she will prolly have an interest in it all her life.
We can help answer any questions that you may have on getting started. And there is lots of stored info here you can read also. I can't help w/ your electrical situation but someone here will pop in and help you when they read your post. Happy pondering :twisted:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome Kenny!

animated-welcome-jumping-kid-2.gif

Neat about your daughter she will love the pond, and make sure you do have a fence kids love ponds, fish and you sure don't want her falling in.

A picture would help with the conduit ? my honey is an electrician he may be able to give some advice.

Sounds like they had a submersible pump in the pond with the ability to turn it off from the house.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome kwong isn't strange that learning about ponds and children never ends .They just get bigger LOL

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Looking at your pics I think I would cut that conduit off and abandon it all together .Why put your self through the work invovled just to use that .If you want to use it cut it of lower and put pvc over it .Are you putting a liner in because that would mean your electrical wire would be under the liner and that would not be good .I would just get rid of it .What good is the switch better with getting someone to run new electric to the pond with a breaker .Don't understand why they ran it that way .Just want the pond to be turned on when they wanted it and for no other reason .I would go the safer root take it out

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Kwong, I would agree with sissy, plug the conduit. Safer for you and others.

Most pumps come with a plug in cord, or you can get it hard wired. If anything goes wrong, i.e. you need to change out the pump, you will be able to reach it rather than diving into your pond and messing with that conduit.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
ALL MEMBERS BEWARE! I have been hit with another Virus. All my anti-virus programs activated as soon as I clicked on the flickr link. This is twice that I have been hot from that site!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Weird fishin, I have some good up to date protection, no virus warning here, and all is good. I looked at all three pictures.

Running a quick scan with a different program just to check

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
What ever it is, webroot popped right up, and started scanning, It usually only does that if it recognises something, (jucheck.exe) is what is flashing, I can't get it to remove, tryied closeing, not allowing it and Alt+F4 it nothing is clearing it off.
That's exactly why I don't like using picture hosting sites, they are embedded with all kinds of stuff, you never know until you get them.

Ask a Question