Hello from Memphis

Reaction score
Hello fellow aquatic enthusiast. I am a plant aquarium hobbiest, and I am branching out into the pond realm. I can't really expand any further in my house (only 1 75gal) due to aesthetics according to the wife I will bring the inside OUT.
As I mentioned I love planted aquariums, so I want to build and medium above ground pond. I want it above ground because I have dogs, 1 of those being a Great Dane.

Here are pics of my firsted planted tank (55) and then the upgraded "DIRTED" 75

There are so many questions I have before I get started on this venture. So this is my intro.

Attachments

• user43522_pic6585_1299003112.jpg
    user43522_pic6585_1299003112.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 186
  • UG43522_pic7618_1308187015.jpg
    UG43522_pic7618_1308187015.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 214

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Welcome! Those are some nice looking aquariums. I have both a pond and aquarium, but my tank doesnt look nearly as nice as those.

Reaction score
Welcome! Those are some nice looking aquariums. I have both a pond and aquarium, but my tank doesnt look nearly as nice as those.

Thanks, it took patience and a lot of mistakes before I learned. I am hoping my planted aquarium skills can translate into my pond adventure. You see in the planted tank world there is a technique called DIRTING, and I am wanting to see if this can be used in a pond.

Why do people put thier aquatic plants into pots? Why not have a planted substrate in the pond?

Reaction score
I guess I need to explain the process in case there are some not familiar with it.

Miracle grow organic - capped with sand or fine gravel. Can this type of substrate be used in ponds?

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Thanks, it took patience and a lot of mistakes before I learned. I am hoping my planted aquarium skills can translate into my pond adventure. You see in the planted tank world there is a technique called DIRTING, and I am wanting to see if this can be used in a pond. Why do people put thier aquatic plants into pots? Why not have a planted substrate in the pond?

Lots of people put those things in pots and the put the pot in the pond. The but not usually just to line the whole bottom of the pond. Reason being, if you have fish, you are going to have alot of fish waste, even if not, you are going to have leaves and other things bllowing into the pond. Having a bottom full of dirt, or sand, or pea gravel is alot harder to keep clean.

Lots of memebers on this site have started out with pea gravel in the bottom of thier ponds and later were chest deep in water shoveling it out, It gives decomposing plant life a place to hide and causes ammonia levels to rise.

Reaction score
fish waste, leaves and other things bllowing into the pond. Having a bottom full of dirt, or sand, or pea gravel is alot harder to keep clean.

OK..

I never clean the "bottom" of my tank...fish waste breaks down into organics that I dont have to buy for my plants. I am looking at this from an aquatic plants point of view, not so much the fish. Leaves will eventually break down as well, but I can grab what I can grab.

Now I know this subject comes up all the time..HEATING !!!

Could I run the typical aquarium heater (for winter only) to a pond? I mean one or two that would equal the gallons?

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Well, if you only have a few fish that is totally true. But most of us are fully stock if not overstocked, and that is alot of fish waste!

As far as heating... how big/deep of a pond are you planning?

Reaction score
I actually found my perfect solution (I not good with building stuff)

This is what I want.

Attachments

• IMG_0414.JPG
    IMG_0414.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 189
Reaction score
I'm not up to par on the weather on Memphis, but I would imagine a stock tank heater would work pretty well. :)

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/productdetails.aspx?sku=7020514

MAN that really just depends..Weather around here is so FLIP flop. One day it will be 50 and the next day 90, here is what I pulled off the net.
"Although January is the coolest month of the year in Memphis, the temperature stays right around the freezing point of 32 degrees F. The average high temperature for the month is 49 degrees F, while the average low temperature is just below freezing at 31. By the time winter ends and spring begins in March, the average high and low temperatures both increase by several degrees. The average high in March is 63 degrees F and the average low temperature is 44."

Now let me ask about that heater...does that just sit in the pond? I only assume yes.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Yep, it sinks to the bottom, its actually made for that round stock tank you have pictured, keeps the water thawed so cattle can drink out of it during the winter. but lookin gat that ad a little closer, those things aer 1500 watts, that would probably be quite a bit on your electricity bill each month.

being as you dont usually get below freezing, look up solar stock tanks on google, there are quite a few people showing how they have insulated those taks so that they dont freeze over in the winter without running a heater.

Reaction score
How about the summer months then...It gets very very hot here, I actually think I am more concerned with the heat than I am the cold.

July is the warmest month of the year on average. The average high temperature in July is a toasty 92 degrees F and the average low temperature is 73. The average high and low temperatures drop only slightly in August, a month when the average high is 91 degrees F and the average low is 71. As summer begins to move aside for fall in September, the average high drops to 85 degrees F and the average low drops to 64.

Very rarely does it drop below 82 even at night.

Ask a Question