Hello from Michigan

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hello. I guess I'm new here, although I did post a year or two back about trying to convert an above ground swimming pool to a pond. That idea fell through, and the pool was removed yesterday. We are now planning on digging a "proper" pond where the pool used to be. So I posted over on the "Newbie" area, complete with photos of where the pool used to be. Am hoping for some suggestions, because after so much reading over the past year, and especially several weeks, my mind is numb.

Anyhow, I'm basically trying to wrap my mind around what is absolutely necessary in a water garden/goldfish pond so I can avoid major mistakes. I know it is a learning process, but funds are very tight. I am an avid DIYer, so I can save that way. I've used several pond volume calculators, and it seems they are really worthless IMO. They all turn out different. I don't want to dump a bunch of salt in and figure it out that way either. Any suggestions there?

You can read more in the other post, but just wanted to say hello and thank you for this awesome resource!

Sandy

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
oh no... your not by the mushroom farm are ya?.... had some freinds in the townhouses there...man when the wind shifts brought in the smell. wow! questions... we're all here to help....

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
koiguy1969 said:
oh no... your not by the mushroom farm are ya?.... had some freinds in the townhouses there...man when the wind shifts brought in the smell. wow! questions... we're all here to help....
Nope, haven't even heard of a mushroom farm around here.

Thanks, J.W., for the welcome back!

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thank you! I am glad to be back. I know I've posted a bunch of questions lately, but am hopeful somebody will reply to my latest in the Newbie thread called "Pool gone, newbie needs help". It is a question about pond kits and what people think of the one I linked to. I'd like to get going on this, but I want a go ahead so I know I'm not doing something totally foolish. I especially wanted to know if the pump that is included is a decent pump, and the biofilter is good. I know I could DIY a filter (have done one before for a tiny water garden), but it is just nice to have everything together in a kit and know it has been designed to go together.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Sandy

Ask a Question