Hello From Michigan!

Reaction score
Hi,

We bought a house about four years ago that has two cement ponds in the backyard. One is around 100 gallons, and the other is around 1,000 gallons. We didn't do anything with the ponds the first year we lived here, so we have been doing this for about three years. We are still trying to get the hang of everything!

We lost most of our fish last winter, we think due to the extreme cold. A neighbor with a koi pond also lost most of his fish, and he had a heater in addition to an aerator (we always have an aerator running in the winter). We lost about 12 fish, and have four survivors. They are hanging out in the small pond now, while we prepare to do a little work on the big pond (we are hoping to finally take care of the slow leak in our waterfall).

Anyway, it's great to be here. I am excited to have found a forum like this one, because most of the ones I find seem very koi-centric.

Reaction score
I am on the other side of the state, Grand Rapids. It's nice to see that there are other Michigan ponders here!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
alahoop
Sorry about the fish loss. Lots lost theirs this past winter so you are not alone. I am lucky being in a mild climate here in Western Washington state. I only lost a few very small be'be's. I only have goldfish and Shubunkins.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome. I'm originally from MI and have family there, but live in Cincinnati. We'd love to see some pictures of your pond:)

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes, everyone!

Tula, here are some pictures of our ponds, but they are kind of a mess! Our house was an estate house when we bought it, and the yard had been neglected for years. I have a vision for the ponds, but it is taking us a long time to get them there.

The first picture shows three of our fish. The white and orange one was our biggest, and the two orange ones were the oldest. They were the lone survivors from our first batch of feeders (I don't think we killed the rest; they came to us unhealthy). All three were lost over the winter. Unfortunately, I think that this is my only fish picture.

The second picture shows the big pond when were first looked at the house--we were so naive back then! The next two pictures are of the small pond. How it looked the second year in the spring (we did nothing with them the first year), and then when we first added plants. They fill out quite a bit, of course, and we've added things, but I haven't taken any pictures since then. The last picture shows what our big pond looked like a few days ago. We are draining it so we can try to waterproof an area of the waterfall that we think is leaking. It gives a good idea of the size and shape of the pond though. I have torn out a lot of the nettle from around both ponds. It's driving me crazy, but I think looking at these old pictures helps me see how far I have come!

L1100756.jpg
pond before.JPG
small pond before.jpg
small pond.jpg
IMG_7107.JPG

Reaction score
Looks like you have some great bones to work with. Both are good looking pond. Nice shapes and sizes. They have potential for that very natural look to them.

Nice rocks too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Charming setting for your ponds. You have the chance to start anew and put your mark on them. There is so much information here that will be a big help. Please feel free to ask us any questions:)

Reaction score
Hi, from another Michigander, and another pond newbie! I'm in eastern Wayne County.

Love your first photo. I lost a pretty goldie with a nice fan tail like yours recently. I mean literally lost... one day she was there and the next day, gone. Boo, of course she was my favorite. :(

I'll be watching to see what you do with your ponds!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can really make those into some nice looking ponds w/ a bit of work and creativity adding plants and such :)

Ask a Question