Hello from new member

Reaction score
I searched this website for help, and the information provided by members has impressed me to join. Currently I have a concern and was reading topics to find out your members solutions.
My pond is 8 feet by 11 feet and average of 28 - 32 inches deep. Two dozen gold fish and shabunkins live happily in it. The oldest four shabunkins are 7 years and most of the younger ones are theirs. I live in Ohio near Cleveland. I had this pond for over 20 years. It hasn't been the prettiest due to my barriers to keep out herons, hawks, cats and raccoons. This spring I made barrier changes to enjoy the aesthetics of the pond (almost worked and fixes made). My pond has its ups and downs over the years. My yard is certified as a WildLife Habitat and Monarch Waystation. Sadly monarchs need help (to save their numbers). Milkweeds grow in my flower garden and by the patio, the scent is as lovely as lilac's. This month I raised 2 caterpillars from eggs and they pupated last night. I draw and paint nature and love camping. I hope to be a contributing member.

Reaction score
Welcome and, Wow your yard sound wonderful!!! I also like to hear from seasons pond owners! Sounds like you have a lot to share for 20 years of ponding. I'd love to see pics of your fish. I am just starting out and haven't even finished my installation.

Reaction score
Hello Lisabetten and thanks for the first welcome. Thanks for the compliments. How large & deep is your new pond?
Dont rush the installation. If you haven't placed the liner yet make sure all pebbles and stones are removed and use a ground liner too. If you have a fountain be sure that it sits on a level surface before filling with water, very frustrating when the fountain spray has a lean. Be sure to put water conditioner in for future fish. Dont let your pond become a heron diner. The fish are too expensive and you will become attached and their loss will hurt. Use a filter or make one to prevent tiny fish from being sucked into the pump intake. A free one is taking a plastic aspirin or vitamin bottle, drill holes in it and fasten it to the intake hose. I can elaborate in the proper forum if anyone is interested and my trials at predator protection. You will get new fish for free. Good Luck, enjoy, have patience and nature will develop it.
My 4 oldest are shabunkins about 9 inches nose to tail, Dottie, white with few colored spots, Freckles is white and looks like he is covered in glitter and has some kind of a tumor on his side started 3 years ago. Thunder is black with red blotches and has a kid that I call Mini me, who is identical to Thunder. Fay is white with red blotches starting to fading. The regular gold fish is Big Orange almost 8 inches long. Males have tiny bumps on their gill flaps.
I got to figure out how to add pictures.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forums, R. Rose. I look forward to your experience-based contributions. ;)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! WOW, I would love to see pictures of your pond and wildlife area! That is SOOOOOOO cool!

My pond is only going into it's 3rd year, but we're planning to add a bog as primary filtration. I have pet box turtles, and have tried to accommodate their habitat into the pond-bog situation -- in fact, the pond itself came about because of the boxies :) [long story]. After several iterations, the turtles now have their own, separate "turtle-bog."

In researching plants to add, I hit on the marsh milkweed -- I have such vivid childhood memories of seeing and catching Monarchs, and I was always so sad because we didn't have any milkweed plants in our yard..... So, I have about 5 baby marsh milkweed plants getting started for that very reason. Right now, they are in the turtle-bog and appear to be doing well, though I don't know that I've ever even seen one before to know what they should look like. But they're growing and green.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
R.Rose
Looking forward to viewing your photos and all the tips and tricks you can add to our bucket lists.
I remember when a little kid bringing in butterflies to the house and letting them go. Mother was not as thrilled as I was tho

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
spider.gif
to our group! I planted our entire yard to support nature, beneficial bugs, pollinators, birds, frogs anything that wants to live here is welcome

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome R. Rose. It sounds like you will be a great fit for our group and hopefully you will become a regular poster. Please put on pictures when you can. Our neighbor has about 50 milkweed growing and every year he gives us monarch caterpillars to watch. It's a lot of fun to let a butterfly go and see it's first attempts at flying!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! I'm a newbie with my pond being just 1 year old. It is certainly a learning experience and I love it. There is a lot of experienced ponders here to help us newbies along and will be looking forward to your input. (and pictures) :)

Reaction score
Wonderful!! Welcome welcome! Getting my yard certified as a wildlife habitat is actually on my bucket list! In fact, I just planted some milkweed rysomes I got from a friends field, as you can see on my avatar :) We love it when the butterflies and dragonflies visit us :happy:. Im Hoping that the milkweed takes, you know how wild flows don't like to be moved. This fall/ winter I will hopefully be completing my Master Gardener ( another bucket list ;))
Looking forward to your input, again Welcome!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome. My yard is also certified as a wildlife habitat. Glad to have you around. Looking forward to some pictures :)

Ask a Question