Hello from NJ; need advice on a liner leak

Reaction score
Hello all fellow pond peeps!

We are ready for spring and ready to get our pond up again.
We take the pump out for the winter and keep aerators going for the fish. We have noticed the level in the lower pond drops to a certain point and stops, and figure it is a leak in the liner (butyl rubber, about 15 years old) We had a leak before, and found the hole (deer hoof puncture) but are having trouble finding this one. Does anyone have any ideas or techniques for tracking down a leak?

Thanks in advance, look forward to reading lots here!

annis

Reaction score
ugh annis! It is so hard to find leaks in liner without actually lowering the water level and looking feverishly for holes. If your liner is 15 years old, it could be at the end of of it's statistical life--they didn't make 'em that great 15 years ago. The liner in my existing pond is nearly 15 years old too, and I've got a slow leak happening, so that's why i finally decided to build anew.

Really really hard to find those leaks!

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I do think we may need to replace the liner, I am thinking of putting a new layer over the existing one.
We have a lot of fish, and would have to move them to the upper pond, and that is traumatic and difficult. Fish are very aware, and you get one try before they spook. Lowering the water helps, and we do have somewhere to put them. May just go ahead and re-do it, have found some cracks out of the water area, which indicates to me that it is about aged out.

thanks again,
annis

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. My husband and I love our ponds and look forward to participating on this forum!

best,
annis

Reaction score
yes, if you relo the fish, you can totally do what you're describing. It sounds like you really just need to bite the bullet and go for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What type of liner is it? If it is epdm? I would not add water and see where the leaking stops. Then go around the waterline to find the leak.

Reaction score
I have a leak in my pond too. It is a very slow leak thou, couple of inches a day. How do you repair them? with roof / flashing seelant and a square peice of epdm for a patch? sand lightly clean with acetone?
Well hopefully I can find it.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Assuming your leak is a hole in the liner, the cleaning process is right, the adhesive should be purchased as EPDM cement. A roofing contractor will probably give you enough if you take a small jar with you and ask them.

Ask a Question