Hello from NorCal

Reaction score
Hello!

I joined a couple of days ago to get some filter/pump questions answered and thought I would finally say hi :D My boyfriend and I are in the process of making our first pond. We were originally going to dig a 7'x3' 3 foot deep pond, but after realizing the cost of liners figured it would be a better investment to get a 300 gallon stock tank so that we could take it with us when we move.

We haven't purchased any of the parts for this yet but I am going to attempt to assemble the 30 gallon filter tomorrow. I think that I know what I'm doing but we will see :) (I just now realized that I don't know what size of pvc pipe to get)

We live about 40 minutes north of San Fransisco. I have a 55 gallon tank full of my beloved goldfish. There are 2 stunted commons from the days before I understood proper fish care (Maverick and Jango), 1 telescope (Kitty), 1 calico oranda (Bruce) and 1 little brown pearlscale (Boushh).

I have wanted a pond since I was little and I'm very excited to get started! The big round stock tank might require some backyard rearranging but I will find a way to make it fit!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Put a layer of sand below it, that helps level it. I have one set up for my lotus plants.
Use the 1.5 or 2 inch pvc less friction loss, better water flow. We used 2 inch for everything we put together.

Reaction score
thanks everyone :lol: we do have a couple of bags of sand sitting around though I suspect we will need a few more.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome to our pond world and hope your fish will enjoy there new home

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
bugwelcome1.gif
Kulukan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Kulukan, Welcome and good luck with your pond! Typically comets and shubunkins do better in ponds than fancies. I don't know how cold it gets by you, but fancies are more susceptible to harm from cold weather. Also the faster fish get to the food faster and leave less for the other fish.

Reaction score
All of my fancy fish are staying inside and they are trained to hand feed so everyone gets the right amount. I think wakin or watonai will go in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Those are both really nice fish. Can you get them locally or do you have to mail order from someone like Raingarden?

Reaction score
if i go with they Watonai will come from rain garden but I can get wakin from San fransisco. Considering the cost of gas right now and the fact that going to SF means a bridge toll and buying lunch and the possibility of not liking the selection the overall cost and risk of the wakin trip might not be worth it when I can get watonai that I know I will like from rain garden. I've had a great experience buying from him in the past and got a telescope that recovered from shipping and was happily swimming in less than 6 hours after being removed from her shipping bag.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey Kulukan, I'm planing on getting at least one from them too this year. It will be my first purchase from them and also the first time I spent more than 6 bucks. Here are a few of my current ones.

Ask a Question