Hello from Northern California

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello Garden Ponds,
My name is Matt, I live in a small town outside of Sacramento, Ca. I do not have a pond but I am in the process of tearing up my backyard and thought I would place a small goldfish pond in the corner. I will post about all that later, for now,... I just want to say Hello!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
welcome-wagon.gif

Hi Matt,

I hope you are not getting hit with all these floods they are talking about on the news tonight. I don't have a pond yet either. Well, I do, but it is still in the box! In about a month I'll start working outside to get it set up. That's what I get for living in PA.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No flooding here. Hopefully it stays that way. I thought it would be a good time to dig but the dirt is so sticky I almost have to scrape it off the shovel!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
No flooding here. Hopefully it stays that way. I thought it would be a good time to dig but the dirt is so sticky I almost have to scrape it off the shovel!

Funny, we do the same thing with the snow. Glad to hear you are out of the floods.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Welcome! We live in the Land of the Red Clay... we ALWAYS have to scrape it off the shovel!
Wait -- what? Red clay in northern IL? I'm originally from central IL. I thought that evil orange stuff was only down here in the south!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Yup. We hit clay as soon as we sink a shovel into the yard. We've spent YEARS working on amending and improving the soil in the gardens and beds around our house.
Geology is so interesting. I know where I'm from, the dirt is just black and gorgeous! When I moved down here and tried to dig in this stuff, I wanted to cry!!!!!
It is going to be 77 here on Friday. I can't believe it. This is weird, even for the south.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hi, Matt! I am a new ponder, too. I am probably two weeks away from putting water in my first pond -- hooray! I don't know what I would have done without the help of the folks in this group. Wonderful people sharing their experience and expertise!
Welcome!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and I would rethink the gold fish after you read how often they have babies .How big do you think you want the pond .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am shooting for 350-400gallons. I may have to consider adding a small predatory fish to handle the babies

Ask a Question