Hello from Ohio!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hey all!

I am a new member from Ohio, and am a beginner ponder! I set up a 110 above ground stocktank pond a few months ago. I made a DIY filter (learned from the kokos goldfish forum) with a 13 gallon trashcan and a 620gph pump. I've also got marginals and a plant in the top of the filter to aid with filtration as well :)

I picked up some juvenile top view ranchu's from a breeder in Cincinnati and they're growing quickly!

I look forward to learning from all of you! I'm always full of questions :) Do you guys have many folks with stocktank ponds on this forum? And do you have many people keeping fancies?

(What's the best way to post pictures? Do you all just use the "upload a file" option?)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
13681059_10100304735086654_8260238119390690253_n.jpg

IMG_1642.JPG

IMG_1527.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and there is a person on you tube that has them .I have fantails and have 2 stock tanks but one is for plants and the other is for baby fish i give away .No babies left so one is empty now .I will have yo thin the plants out in the pond soon .

Attachments

• 100_8004.JPG
    100_8004.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 198
  • 100_7921.JPG
    100_7921.JPG
    238.5 KB · Views: 258
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the group!

I am from Northeast Ohio and I also keep fancy goldfish (mainly oranda but I have a few telescope eye, celestial eye, and fantails) they are in the house though (except the fantails which are in a stock tank on my patio right now)

Your ranchu are adorable :love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome and there is a person on you tube that has them .I have fantails and have 2 stock tanks but one is for plants and the other is for baby fish i give away .No babies left so one is empty now .I will have yo thin the plants out in the pond soon .

Oh wow, your plants are amazing and so lush!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the group!

I am from Northeast Ohio and I also keep fancy goldfish (mainly oranda but I have a few telescope eye, celestial eye, and fantails) they are in the house though (except the fantails which are in a stock tank on my patio right now)

Your ranchu are adorable :love:

Fun! I've got ryukins, ranchus, and veiltails inside my house! :) I've never seen a celestial eye in person.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is the stock tank heater I use in my rubbermaid tank (70 gallon) http://www.unitedvetequine.com/Auto...0wLZsuYAAIFFpjh2DmY9gBfuTjMHx8YG9rBoCJynw_wcB

Nice. I'm about 90% decided to bring my stocktank into the basement during the winter. The breeder I got them from is in Ohio, and he winters some of his stock outside, but these guys are tosai (4 months to be exact) and I'd be too nervous to winter them outside above ground in such a small pond, even with a de-icer. I'm too attached to the little guys :) But, I'm going to browse the wintering threads and see if there are tips for wintering such a small above ground stocktank outside with fancies in my zone... doubtful that many (or any) people do it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice. I'm about 90% decided to bring my stocktank into the basement during the winter. The breeder I got them from is in Ohio, and he winters some of his stock outside, but these guys are tosai (4 months to be exact) and I'd be too nervous to winter them outside above ground in such a small pond, even with a de-icer. I'm too attached to the little guys :) But, I'm going to browse the wintering threads and see if there are tips for wintering such a small above ground stocktank outside with fancies in my zone... doubtful that many (or any) people do it.

When I had my first preform pond I used to bring the fish in the house for the winter months (175 gallons and 18 inches deep with common goldfish) I wasn't comfortable leaving them in the pond over the winter in only 18 inch deep water. I really enjoyed having them in the house almost more so than the pond because I interacted with them more often. I set them up in my utility room in a rubbermaid stock tank and I just moved the matured filter from the pond and used it in the stock tank.

I think with the young fancies especially I would bring them in the house if your able.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fun! I've got ryukins, ranchus, and veiltails inside my house! :) I've never seen a celestial eye in person.

I have had ryukins in the past as well as ranchu. My celestial eye is still young, I couldn't believe it when I found him at PetCo of all places. I had to get him (I had been wanting to get a pair and was looking online hoping that maybe Ken (DandyOranda) would have them on one of his auctions) anyway saved me lot's of money finding one locally and not having to have it shipped.

Ask a Question