Hello from Pa

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in NW Pa and two years ago I decided to add a pond to my vegetable garden. I knew very little about how to go about it, and when attempting to find advice from local merchants, who sold some pond supplies. I either found them about as knowledgeable as I was, or they weren't very forthcoming with information. I dug a hole about 10 feet long , 4 feet wide and approximately 3 feet deep, threw a liner in it, surrounded it with rocks and filled it with water. That somehow worked.... I eventually bought a small filter and pump with a fountain, some plants, and a friend gave me some koi that had grown too large for her aquarium and voila I had a pond! The following year I could not maintain it due to health issues and basically let it go. On one occasion last year I discovered a blue heron dining on my fish.
Health issues over, this year I decided to make my garden even more special by adding a 5 ft waterfall, with a 20ft stream leading back to my pond. . I once again started in the spring not having an idea of what I was doing by creating a mound of dirt, framed by many rocks. Numerous questions arose, such as what size pump would I need? Would it prove too powerful for my small pond ? What glue should I use in the stream to connect the liner? Who was going to carry all these rocks? etc etc. Many times I was brought to tears, realizing that perhaps I'd bitten off more than I could chew. However, this time I searched the internet and it kept bringing me to this site, answering many of my questions along the way from your forums. They helped me survive this ordeal and at present, although it still requires some tweaking, I have a working waterfall and stream that actually drains into my pond,,, and it's not sucked dry by my pump! (I'll share some photos in the near future)
Along the way, I feel I found a wonderful community of helpful people, and by joining your group it first gives me opportunity to thank you. I also realize that at times I will also need more advice and where better to ask? Who knows perhaps someday I may even be able to help someone who finds themselves in a situation as I did over the past few weeks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Jenna,
This is a nice story of perseverance! Glad to have you as a member of the forum. Welcome.
Stephen

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and with the pump it goes on head pressure and that is how far the water has to flow up hill out of the water .But if that is confusing there are several pumps the have several speeds and a remote control to adjust it to what ever you want .The sound is at a click of the remote

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group of friendly ponders! Glad to have you here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think a lot of us are coming here from an “ oops” kind of deal! Oops, my feeder goldfish are too big for my turtle to eat... and now my pool is a pond... but it works. So don’t feel bad, and as for the pesky heron, you can string up a net, or make a spider web maze type cover of fishing line to keep it away. I’m plotting how to protect my pond 2.0 once I have it done. This place is a great source of info, so welcome!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
smwelcome.gif
@Jenna
Looking forward to getting to know you and your pond! :)

Ask a Question