hello from pasadena maryland

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi I have loved ponds since I was a teenager and have had at least a bucket of water(lol) since I bought my first house at 18. Unfortunately I have moved a lot so while I have had many of ponds. I have yet to have one that is older than a few years. With that being said I believe I have found my forever home or at least for the next 20 years! I started planning my pond before we even went to settlement on the house. I am definitely the type that would have a moat around my house if I could and the ultimate pond to me would be indoors (maybe one day) or at least half inside! Something about even the construction of them is exciting and relaxing to me! So anyway I put the main pool in immediately after we bought our house its 12 by 12 roughly and goes from what was suppose to be a shallow bog area to about 2 1/2 feet. The bog didn't work out because of a problem with the liner, it sat collecting rain water for over a year with nothing but some water lilies and other floating plants. I am still working on the liner problem but beginning to realize its time to just put a new liner in. It sits right at the corner of my house in my front yard. My liner problem is located right where my waterfall is supposed to be and I have built it and taken it all back apart too many times to remember trying to fix the issue. So this year I found the liner I couldn't last year and decided I was going to put a bog to the right of my existing pond that has turned into an addition to the pond and a bog so I'm thinking it might be 20ft by 12 when complete with either stepping stones inside and a bridge or just a couple bridges. Fish tunnels, a bog, multi cascading waterfall, shelves homemade skimmer and bio filter, and a tree or two growing out of or next to, I know most people will probably think I'm crazy for the trees but I like the way they look popping out of the water or inside the waterfall. Oh I am also planning to edge one side with a boardwalk with built chaise lounge seating and a dry river bed that goes to a small tea house inspired sitting area, I also built a stone patio opposite the pond last year and next to that is my baby grapevines that will one day screen in the oasis I am creating.

As for me and the rest of my hobbies interest and family. I have 6 little ones that keep me busy, my littlest ones love helping me with the pond and gardening so its become a family thing! We have 2 dogs a mut and a Boston terrier, 2 chickens, a cat. And 4 koi 5 comets and 2
tadpoles and a bullfrog, about to have 3 ducks, and hoping to have more chickens before the end of summer! I am a stay at home mom until all the little ones are in school. My husband is a mechanical engineer. We live in a 195 yr old farm house which we have been slowly renovating since we purchased it a couple years ago. It used to be as large as my whole community is and up till 08 it was waterfront. The idiot that we bought it from subdivided the garage for the property and waterfront and sold it separately. I wouldn't trade it for all the waterfront around me though! We love just being near the water and can't complain about a lower tax bill! I am slowly learning how to make it more like the farm it used to be with my own twist!
I hate the cold so I hibernate in the winter and the minute spring hits I come out of my den, so wintertime I like reading, staying warm by the fire and waiting for spring. Spring through fall I spend most of my time outside. If I'm not in the garden or playing with my little ones or the animals I'm messing with my pond. Other than that I like stone work such as learning how to put in patios or walkways, I built some steps down my hill a couple months ago. Anything challenging is def up my alley. Thanks fr takeng the time to read about me an my ongoing experiment loll!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome, Toytika! We're nearly neighbors! (i'm down in Silver Spring/Montgomery County). Your oasis sounds WONDERFUL!!!! Any change for a picture or two? =D

Sounds like you certainly have your hands full with the wee ones and all the animals... how on earth do you find time to be digging ponds and getting dirty?

Can't wait to hear more!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you! Yes we are practically neighbors loll! I will defy have to get some pics taken of my process and progress, haven't had much time for photography lately lol!
My little ones love being outside and really enjoy helping and seeing the changes etc. If it was up to them they would be inside it swimming with the fish! And late at night or early in the morning I sometimes sneak out and work on it when everyone is fast asleep! That's my insomnia war more than trying to get something done though.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! When you have it built drive out to Frederick I can supply you with a lot of plants for your bog and pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh I like you addy1 your talking of the things I like more than the fish lol! And when I have successfully grown some of these seeds I have ordered for mine I will let you know!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
WIN_20150626_100957.JPG WIN_20150626_100944.JPG WIN_20150626_100748.JPG WIN_20150626_100957.JPG WIN_20150626_100944.JPG WIN_20150626_100720.JPG WIN_20150626_100748.JPG WIN_20150626_100651.JPG WIN_20150626_100646.JPG WIN_20150626_100638.JPG

Attachments

• WIN_20150626_100631.JPG
    WIN_20150626_100631.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 252
  • WIN_20150626_100600.JPG
    WIN_20150626_100600.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 245
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ok so I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to navigating this forum, so if its the same pic more than once its cause I'm pond forum illiterate still lol, and my messy pond excuse the madness lol! I will have to go back out since I have been working all morning cause now it actually looks a little better

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and you are doing fine posting .Your ideas sound great and will be fun to watch you do them .So make sure you take lots of pics .I have a dry creek bed that was used to hide all of my drain pipes from my gutters .I just got done trimming all the azaleas back .Warning is watch out for snakes .I had to be taken to urgentcare after one bit me 2 weeks ago .I had a severe reaction to the bite .

Attachments

• house pond 1014 050.JPG
    house pond 1014 050.JPG
    356.6 KB · Views: 275

Ask a Question