Hello from Puerto Rico

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been into aquariums ever since I can remember. At first with tropical fish when I was a little kid, then it turned into angels and Discus. After many many spawns of both types I made a very small pond where I kept some goldfish and two Koi wish outgrew the pond fairly quickly. Then I got into Reef aquariums with corals, invertebrates and fish. This interest in aquariums paid for my College education. Now I have a small Home Depot plastic "pond" but it is doing very well with some small Koi. I'm at the stage where I really want to keep learning more about ponds and I'm going to build a big one when I feel that with your help I can keep my Koi in good health as they are in my small pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
animated-welcome-jumping-kid-2.gif
jneg
We are glad to help you w/ your project in building your koi a nice big pond to be happy in :goldfish:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome jneg and Puerto Rico is such a pretty place and I was there several years ago to visit for 3 weeks and friends went that have family there ,so got to see the real Puerto Rico .I hope you can build a bigger pond as koi get really large fast and are a lot to take care of .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad you joined, welcome to the group!

flowerwelcomeWHT.gif

Reaction score
I still have the aquarium but right now it is totally empty. My father killed everything by accident caused by a power failure. I have an emergency generator just for the tank but like other things it wasn't connected to the system at the time. The calcareous (pink and purple) algae covered the overflow for one of the pumps and water spilled to the floor. My dad trying to help put water in the car cleaning bucket (lots of car soap left over). That killed the entire tank in less than an hour. I couldn't save anything. The worst thing is that that tank was made from only frags from my customers, so no wild caught corals were in the tank. They were thriving and growing very well but such is life. I was thinking of building it once again but it takes time and lots of money so right now first is the pond then the reef. I can post some pics if you guys want me to.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
darn, sorry about that, bet he felt real bad too.

Sure post some pictures would love to see them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's too bad jneg about the aquarium. We do love pictures so post them up whenever you can.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When I was little my aunt came to our house to watch my brother and I while my parents went to Hawaii. We had two aquariums and they were in the basement, the one day she checked the temperature and noticed they were a little cool so she turned the heaters up. Not knowing to only make slight adjustments she cooked the fish, the temps were somewhere around 90 degrees is what she said.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
When I was little my aunt came to our house to watch my brother and I while my parents went to Hawaii. We had two aquariums and they were in the basement, the one day she checked the temperature and noticed they were a little cool so she turned the heaters up. Not knowing to only make slight adjustments she cooked the fish, the temps were somewhere around 90 degrees is what she said.

That happened to me when I was a teenager and one day my friend came to visit me and I wasn't home but my mom let her come in to see my aquarium and told her to turn on the light and she accidentally turned up the heater all the way....................no more fishies. I was so bummed!

Ask a Question