Hello from San Jose!

Reaction score
Hey guys! I've had aquariums before and was successful in keeping baby goldfish & koi in a small fountain with a big basin. But now I would like to build a small pond in my parent's backyard and would love for you guys to help me out. Never made a pond before, but it should be fun! I have some pictures of where I'd like to build a pond.

pics: http://imgur.com/a/S9fzI

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
welcome our young fish efficienado.... i have the room you should build your pond at my house!..lol good to have you with us.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome kestrel hope your not going to take out all your pretty garden there .It's a great spot though I have to admit but a bit sunny or was that when you took the pic the sun was there

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard, Nice spot plenty of possibilities. Go big and deep, you won't regret it!
scratchchin.gif

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome-1-1-1.gif
kestrel
I see in the pix that some spots have trees w/ lots of leaves that will fall in the autumn so be aware of leaves falling in the pond. If you could pick a spot w/ less leaves that would be ideal and yes bigger and deep would be good. Will your parents let you dig up the grassy area or are you limited to the garden areas?

Reaction score
thanks guys. I plan on transporting any plants that will be in the way. I really like the spanish grass, though. I might move those to be nearer the pond! I realize the problem with falling leaves, but the backyard is mostly sunny most of the day. At least next to the japanese maple there will be some added shade. It's give and take, really. Either mostly sunny places or falling leaves. As far as moving into the grass area (which is in the middle of being redone. It's not usually that dead lol!) , I don't think I will be able to. My first choice would be to the right of the maple. The easiest (simpler; smaller) would be in the last picture

again, thanks for the welcome

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well then if you don't mind the leaves ( you can always throw a net over it right before the leaves start to fall or get a skimmer or get lots of muscles using a net to scoop them out all the time) I'd pick the place where you can make it the bigger the better. Heck you don't want to pick the easy spot...........you want the hard spot so you can stand back after you are done and really feel as tho you accomplished something grandiose
laugh.png

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome!

Frogswelcomev.gif

The area you picked will look great with a pond, just the leaves like the say above, maybe make sure you plan a skimmer also for your pond to help out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome kestrel hope you like us we are friendly and don't bite .Well some of us don't lol

Ask a Question